Re: [thredds] [netcdf-java] announce release 4.5.5

  • To: Antonio Rodriges <antonio.rrz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] [netcdf-java] announce release 4.5.5
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 10:58:22 -0600
Hi Antonio:

Unfortunately, GRIB is a difficult file format to get right. It has not
been possible to issue bug fixes, rather we have had to rewrite the
library, so far 3 times now. So I consider any versions before 4.6 as
broken, and unfixable. While earlier versions do work sometimes, they also
often appear to work correctly, but are wrong.

I am hopeful that 4.6 is the last rewrite and from now on we can issue
backwards-compatible bug fixes going forward. Meanwhile we have to go
through the painful process of upgrading and reporting the problems.

4.3 does create indexes, they would by default be in the directory
"~user/.unidata/cache" (in the home directory of the user running the
application). You might want to have a look in there. Its possible that I
didnt get that same directory correctly wired up in 4.6, i will check on
that.

John