Re: [thredds] joinExisting and FMRC aggregation performance

  • To: "Signell, Richard" <rsignell@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] joinExisting and FMRC aggregation performance
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 20:22:04 -0600
Hi Rich:

NcML Aggregations should only be used for small collections of files ( a
few dozen?) , because they are created on-the-fly. FMRC does a better job
of caching information so things go quicker. It handles the case of a
single time dimension as a special case of a Forecast model collection.
However, they too are limited in how much they will scale up, (< 100 ?)

GRIB collection in v4.6.0 finally are almost ready for large scale
collections (> 10K files). I will be improving the FMRC to use some of the
techniques in GRIB collections, slated for version 4.6.1. Not yet sure how
far that will get in scaling up, but I think we can do much better than now.

So how many files and variables are in the HF Radar collection?

John