[thredds] Can't get THREDDS WCS GetCoverage to work

Dear All

Can anyone help me with trying to get a WCS 1.0.0 GetCoverage request to work
with THREDDS?

I'm using THREDDS 4.6.3 and get expected XML responses when I attempt WCS
GetCapabilities and DescribeCoverage requests.  However, when I attempt a
GetCoverage request, with format equal to GeoTIFF or NetCDF3, I get a "This web
page is not available ERR_INVALID_RESPONSE" error and when I show the details
I'm told that "The web page at... ...might be temporarily down or it may have
moved permenantly to a new web address."

I tried this initially with gridded data in a British National Grid projection
and the GetCoverage request fails.  I therefore created a dummy netCDF file
with a latitude longitude projection and have configured a THREDDS instance in
a VM on my local machine to test but I am still getting the same error - the
GetCapabilities and DescribeCoverage requests work and the GetCoverage request
fails.

The form of the WCS requests I'm attempting are as follows:
http://localhost:8080/thredds/wcs/smwtestwcs/chess_tas_196101_modified.nc?service=WCS&version=1.0.0&request=GetCapabilities
http://localhost:8080/thredds/wcs/smwtestwcs/chess_tas_196101_modified.nc?service=WCS&version=1.0.0&request=DescribeCoverage&coverage=tas
http://localhost:8080/thredds/wcs/smwtestwcs/chess_tas_196101_modified.nc?service=WCS&version=1.0.0&request=GetCoverage=tas&time=1961-01-31T00:00:00Z&format=GeoTIFF
http://localhost:8080/thredds/wcs/smwtestwcs/chess_tas_196101_modified.nc?service=WCS&version=1.0.0&request=GetCoverage=tas&time=1961-01-31T00:00:00Z&format=NetCDF3

I have used ToolsUI 4.6 to check that the dummy netCDF file is OK and I can
successfully display the gridded data in a netCDF file using the FeatureTypes |
Grid tab.  I can also display the dummy netCDF file in the Godiva2 viewer in
the VM THREDDS instance.

The metadata header of the dummy netCDF file is as follows:

netcdf C:/smw/Workspace/THREDDS_WCS/Data02/dummy.nc {
  dimensions:
    latitude = 6;
    longitude = 12;
  variables:
    float latitude(latitude=6);
      :_CoordinateAxisType = "Lat";
      :units = "degrees_north";

    int crs;
      :grid_mapping_name = "latitude_longitude";
      :longitude_of_prime_meridian = 0.0; // double
      :semi_major_axis = 6378137.0; // double
      :inverse_flattening = 298.257225363; // double
      :_CoordinateTransformType = "Projection";
      :_CoordinateAxes = "x y";

    float longitude(longitude=12);
      :_CoordinateAxisType = "Lon";
      :units = "degrees_east";

    float pressure(latitude=6, longitude=12);
      :_CoordinateAxes = "x y";
      :coordinates = "y x";
      :long_name = "Pressure";
      :units = "hPa";
      :grid_mapping = "crs";

    float temperature(latitude=6, longitude=12);
      :_CoordinateAxes = "x y";
      :coordinates = "y x";
      :long_name = "Temperature";
      :units = "celsius";
      :grid_mapping = "crs";

  // global attributes:
  :cdm_data_type = "GRID";
  :Conventions = "CF-1.0";
  :featureType = "GRID";
}

The netCDF file in the British National Grid can also be displayed in ToolsUI
4.6 and Godiva2 viewers.

Can anyone shed any light on what I might be doing wrong and why I can't get a
GetCoverage WVS request to work?

Many thanks, best wishes, Simon.

This message (and any attachments) is for the recipient only. NERC is subject
to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the contents of this email and any
reply you make may be disclosed by NERC unless it is exempt from release under
the Act. Any material supplied to NERC may be stored in an electronic records
management system.