[thredds] THREDDS v5 and Changes to GitHub Workflow

Greetings!

The THREDDS group at Unidata is now changing our main focus onto
netCDF-Java and TDS 5.0. As of today, the GitHub default branch will be
5.0.0. This means all pull requests, by default, will be against 5.0.

Later this week week, we anticipate releasing v4.6.5 (a bug fix release).
At the time of release, we will create a maintenance branch, 4.6.x, based
on the current master branch. At the same time, the 5.0.0 branch will be
transitioned to the master branch and deleted. If you have been pulling
code from the master branch, you will need to take a few steps to make the
transition from the master branch based on 4.x (currently) and the new
master branch based on 5.0. This is a one time only change, as after this
move, all development will be done on the master branch, regardless of
version.

After we've changed to the new master branch, you will need to update your
local git repository to have a smooth transition. Follow these instructions
to make the transition. Note this assumes you have named Unidata's
repository origin (change as needed). DON'T DO THIS if you have any work on
the branch master that you want to save.

git fetch origin
git checkout origin/master
git br -d master
git checkout -b master origin/master

You can ignore any scary-looking messages about 'detached HEAD'.

It is our desire to have a beta version of TDS v5.0 ready for testing in
the next few weeks (note that netCDF-Java v5.0 will be released for beta
testing at a later time). We will also be running a TDS v5.0 server here at
Unidata for those who would like to test their software against the new
server. We will have a full announcement detailing new features, changes,
etc. when both are ready for use.

Cheers,

The THREDDS Development Team