Re: [thredds] Error from Unidata side? - Important

I don't know Java that well,  but I do know Python.  In python,  some of the
http libraries do not handle https properly.  I have been told by others,  but
do not know this first hand,  that the some is true of at least some Java
libraries.  All I know is a did a reboot a couple of months ago,  and
everything worked.  I changed nothing on my end,  and it failed today,  on
accessing correctly that remote file.

Once I brought down the latest war, with my catalogs otherwise the same,
things worked.  So I don't know enough about Java to say anything definite,
but it sure looks like it was the forced redirect that caused the problem.  Wha
I would suggest in the future is:

1. Warn people ahead of time that this will happen.

2. Set up a test site to see if it causes any problems.

3.  If the catalog headers should be changed,  post that beforehand so people
can make changes.

Just my $0.02 - there are probably other good ways to go about this.

-Roy

> On Nov 20, 2017, at 2:12 PM, dmh@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> [Sorry to interject]
> Roy, you say:
>> But we have found generally that forced redirects of http do not work
>> correctly in a lot of languages.
> Do you have any insight into why they fail?
> Should we just reject http: calls instead of redirecting
> them?
> =Dennis Heimbigner
> Unidata

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst