[AWIPS #AID-198155]: AWIPS II EDEX hw requirements

Hi Robert,

re:
> As you know many of us were very worried about performance given that
> AWIPS 2 was going to be written in Java. Is this that issue coming to roost?

It is too early to make a claim like this.  As AWIPS-II has gone through
a multitude of changes getting it ready for NWS operations, it has become
faster and more robust.  Currently, there is still work to be done, and that
is the reason that it has not been made available to the Unidata user
community.

Aside:

We were just at the NWA conference in Madison, WI, and one of the things we
were doing was demoing AWIPS-II.  While there we had visits from folks from
two different weather service offices, and we took the opportunity to question
them about their experiences with AWIPS-II.  One site said that they had run
into problems that did not allow them to get their warnings out. Repeated
attempts to solve their problem failed, so they rolled back to AWIPS.  At
the same time, another site said that they switched from AWIPS to AWIPS-II
almost a year ago, and they would never consider going back -- they love
AWIPS-II.  Given the seemingly diametrically opposite points of view, it would
be premature to either praise or slam AWIPS-II.  It seems evident that we
(UPC program office) and some WFOs are not far enough along in our understanding
of AWIPS-II as a whole to authoritatively comment on the overall system.
What we can AND are doing, however, is kicking the tires (hard) and trying to
determine the minimum specifications for a machine/machines that will be needed
to run AWIPS-II (EDEX and CAVE) well/productively.

I hope that this helps round out the AWIPS-II picture!

Ticket ID: AID-198155
Department: Support AWIPS