[AWIPS #LEJ-328298]: AWIPS II

Hi Carter,

re:
> So will AWIPS II be released to the public towards the end of the year?

That is our hope/goal.  The release schedule is, however, determined by
NOAA, not us.

re:
> I would like to know because if so I will need to upgrade my computer
> system which will cost a lot of money, so I don not want to have to do
> this unless AWIPS II will surly be released.

We are still trying to determine the minimum hardware requirement for a
single-computer installation of AWIPS-II.  The standard installation at
WFOs and National Centers is comprised of at least 11 computers and two
network attached storage (NAS) devices.  This kind of installation is
done to insure continued available in the face of hardware failures
(i.e., multiple redundancy) and the fastest access to data as possible
(to support real-time forecasting, etc.).

re:
> If it is released how will I get it? and if not free, how much will it cost?

The software will be made available for no cost.  Sites will have to download
the installation tarball from our Downloads page.  Just so you know, the
current distribution tarball is on the order of 5 GB in size.

re:
> Also can it be used for personal use or only restricted to organizations
> and universities?

We believe that anyone will be able to use it ** if ** they have the
compute horsepower to run it, of course.

Ticket ID: LEJ-328298
Department: Support AWIPS