[Support #VJD-295010]: Re: Dumb AWIPS2 questions

> I meant can AWIPS2 extract gridded data from an OPeNDAP URL.
> Sounds like you think that might be possible (with some additional work)?
> That would be awesome!

Currently such functionality is not part of AWIPS2, but yeah, I am optimistic
that such a thing *would* work.  I would like to investigate it, for sure.

> > As for your question about a VM, I have not tried it for the data server,
> > though Gerry Creager has with our beta, and it should work fine.  Not so for
> > the client since CAVE requires the GPU do a lot of the computations and the
> > VM setup I've not heard has ever been fast enough.
>
> Ah, interesting.  Yes, we are definitely interested in the Client --
> we are trying to figure out how we might get regional ocean model data
> (run by academic institutions) into the hands of local weather
> forecast offices.    It is currently distributed as CF compliant data
> via OPeNDAP.
>
> But I could imagine either of:
> a) giving the WFOs a python script that could be run (perhaps on a
> schedule) to extract data from OPeNDAP and save locally in a GRIB2
> format readable by AWIPS2
> b) creating a broker service that would create GRIB2 products from
> specified OPeNDAP services, which could then be simply downloaded via
> FTP
>
> Do you think either of those routes might work to get "external" model
> data into AWIPS2?
>
> Or would it be better to push data via LDM?

I don't understand what your interest in the CAVE client running on a VM has to
do with distributing the regional ocean model data to forecasters.

On the topic of external model data, I can't say much.  I am only ingesting IDD
data via the LDM.  The LDM works really well for this purpose given the
"edexBridge" program that is bundled with awips2-ldm - each product filed to
disk by pqact also has a message sent to the Qpid message broker which alerts
the EDEX ingest JVM that a product is ready for decoding.  I have seen a script
included in an earlier version of AWIPS2 which was designed to mimmic a live
ingest for canned data, and it sends a message to Qpid just as edexBridge does
with the LDM.

I'm sorry I can't say more, I haven't explored this method of data ingest
enough to give you a more thorough answer.

Michael

Ticket ID: VJD-295010
Department: Support AWIPS