[AWIPS #WHR-794906]: Unidata AWIPS II Pre-installation questions

> I was reviewing your installation instructions:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/awips2/doc/install.html
>
> One of the instructions is:
>
> /awips2 must exist. Preferrably mounted from its own disk
>
> We already have LDM installed and I was curious if you
> recommend having this data on its own disk? If yes, do you
> have any estimate of the amount of data we might see?

Hi Bob,

The reason I suggest having /awips2 mounted to it's own disk is that in order
to ingest high volume feeds such as NEXRAD3 and CONDUIT, an SSD is required in
order for both the LDM and the EDEX Java processes to read an write data at a
fast enough rate.  The LDM will write data to /awips2/data_store or
/data_store, which will be read and processed by EDEX and then saved to the
HDF5 data store in /awips2/edex/data/.  To have both of these data directories
on the same SSD will allow for the EDEX processes to "keep up" with the high
volume of data being requested by the LDM.

Michael James
Unidata Program Center
Boulder, CO

Ticket ID: WHR-794906