[AWIPS #RUE-870694]: AWIPS II questions

> I am coming up for the AWIPS II training session this week, but thought I
> would ask these questions ahead time so I can access what upgrades we would
> need to run EDEX.

Hi Robert,

It is good to hear you will be at the workshop, I look forward to seeing you
again.

> 1) I see that a 256GB Solid State drive is required for CONDUIT and NEXRAD3.
> Is that a typo (hoping it is!) should that be NEXRAD Level II or do you
> really need a Solid State drive for the NEXRAD3 that is transmitted over
> NOAAport.

NEXRAD3 files come in at such a rapid rate that it's possible to IO bound the
server with so many decoders running in parallel on such a large number of file
reads and writes.  It's easy to see if your system handles the national NEXRAD3
feed, just check the LDM pqacts and start it up, and then monitor the qpid
message broker with the command

qpid-stat -q -S msgIn

You will see columns called msgIn msgOut and msg, for each decoder.  As long as
the difference between then (msg) does not consistently grow then your system
will be fine.  But it's best to monitor latencies during periods of greatest
data ingest, like when the GFS and GEFS come in over CONDUIT.

> 2) We just don't have the bandwidth to get the entire GFS 0.25 so I wrote a
> bunch of scripts to get what the portions of the globe we do need at various
> times of the year using NCEP's grib filter and then pass it through dcgrib2.
> Is there an equivalent way of doing this in AWIPS II? I understand that
> GEMPAK functionality is not there yet.

There is no functionality for this but I would be happy to see how such a thing
would work with EDEX, if you care to share how your script works.  We will also
go over adding new grids to EDEX in the workshop so hopefully that will help
answer this further.

Michael

Ticket ID: RUE-870694
Department: Support AWIPS