[AWIPS #OML-145524]: FW: AWIPS Radar Data Load

> UCAR Support:
>
> I am working on a configuration of the AWIPS system using a recent
> AWIPS build, and believe that it is installed properly.  I have been
> able to load data for the NAM 12KM models and IR and WV/UR Satellite
> data.  To accomplish these loads, I have downloaded files from the
> threddsrc.ucar.edu site and placed them in our manual file location.
>
> However, I have not been able to successfully process Radar data,
> Visible Satellite data, and GFS model data.  I have followed the same
> approach as above to download the files and place them into our manual
> file location (/awips2/edex/data/manual).  After placing these files
> into this location, it looks like they are getting picked up, as they
> disappear after a short period of time of dropping them in that location.
> I have checked some of log files and have not seen anything that looks
> like an issue.  In the CAVE client, the data does not appear.  Some of
> the files I have attempted include:
>

> *         Level3_Composite_n0r_1km_20150724_1445.gini
>
> *         WEST-CONUS_1km_VIS_20150724_1800.gini
>
> So with that said, I was wondering if there is a good approach to
> troubleshoot this sort of issue.  I am fairly new to working with AWIPS,
> so any support would be appreciated.
>
> Richard Clos
> L-3 National Security Solutions

Hi Richard,

I'm copying my reply from August 12 in case it didn't make it to your inbox
then.

For every product that you drop in /awips2/edex/data/manual, in order for EDEX
to identify which decoder plugin to use, you must supply a regular expression
in the data distribution file for the decoder.  Since the above two files are
GINI satellite images, you will want to add the appropriate regex to
/awips2/edex/data/utility/edex_static/base/distribution/satellite.xml

I suggest you read through our document on Manual Data Ingest
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14mtcr9xii4abmKuh6jW_3GtWn3tMbObZ9Hhh6RN9lYo/edit?usp=sharing

One thing to remember with gini files is that EDEX is able to process
UNCOMPRESSED files only, so if these files are gini-compressed you will need to
uncompress them, you can use the McIDAS decoder pngg2gini as documented in the
above link example LDM pattern actions for the Unidata FNEXRAD composites.

The above two files SHOULD have the correct entries in EDEX already for
sectorID and satelliteName, but if not we will have to work further on this.

As for displaying the data in CAVE, once the files are successfully ingested
you can view them through the menu item CAVE > Data Browser  > Product Browser.
 Adding the product to a D2D drop-down menu requires copying/editing the menus
in the Localization Perspective, which you can read more about at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UKS04eGineJfXxWVe0ees_OR8a2TLJBBlelueP1KoBY/edit?usp=sharing

I can tell more about this issue if you reply back to my personal email address
(mjames@ucar) and attach the edex-ingest-YYYMMDD.log and
edex-ingest-satellite-YYYYMMDD.log files.  I'm guessing it's an issue with PNG
compression on the gini files.

-Michael

Ticket ID: OML-145524
Department: Support AWIPS