[AWIPS #PJZ-808644]: Problems with AWIPS2 on Mac

> Friends,
>
> I downloaded the AWIPS2 for Mac 0S X and spent a good bit of time working
> with it yesterday.
>
> Here is what I found:
>
> It will not quit without crashing.  I tried quitting it many times
> (on the order of 50) and every time it crashed. Note that when it
> initializes on the Mac, it comes up with two menu lists labeled "CAVE".
> I tried quitting from both of these with the same result.
>
> Probably as a consequence of the above, it will not let me change the
> localization to some place other than Omaha.  Of course I wanted to set
> it to Anchorage (AFC) where I live, but that didn't work.  I also tried
> Cleveland (CLE) and that din't work either.  I tried this also many times
> (order of 40).
>
> It will plot synoptic observations, but it will not plot metars.
> It plots the metar station locations, but gives a error when it tries
> to plot the observations.
>
> It will not plot sounding data at constant pressure levels.  Same error
> as when trying to plot meters--point data fetching error.
>
> It gives many errors when downloading 4-panel model data--here it was
> missing many of the variables that are supposed to be contained in the
> 4-panel plots.  Sometimes it even cased the pane to crash.  There did
> not seem to be any way to recover from that.  Even trying to load another
> pane from the side pains will not give one a workable pane.
>
> If one switches from the CONUS view that comes up initially, it will not
> switch back to it ever again without restarting (and consequent crash).
> It will give a hemispheric or North American view, when one requests
> CONUS.
>
> I have yet to find any model data or analyses covering any area outside
> the parochial CONUS area--none for AK, none for hemispheric. Perhaps
> these exist in the system, but I have not found them.
>
> I have successfully viewed CONUS satellite images, lightning data,
> SPC severe outlooks, icing airmets, some model data, so the system is
> functioning on some level.
>
> I am running OS X 10.8.5 with a 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor with 16
> GB of memory on an iMac.
>
> By the way, I tried downloading the software two more times after my
> initial attempt with the same results.  It downloads and installs without
> problem, but then behaves as noted above.
>
> I would really like to have this system up and operational on my home
> computers not only because I spend a great deal of time weather watching,
> but also because I want to learn more of the intricacies of AWIPS 2 and
> hoe even to develop some tools of my own that I might apply at work and
> being able to do this at home when I have time and when I do not run the
> risk of messing up an operationally important system is very important
> to me.
>
> I am a forecaster with the National Weather Service Aviation Weather
> Unit here in Anchorage.

> [...]

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the very detailed feedback.  Some of the things you mention are
known issues, some are new to me and I will investigate them for the next
release.  The OpenGL rendering for the Mac client had to be refactored for
JogAmp 2 instead of jogl 1 (which works for linux and windows clients).

Grid coverage is simply what I have enabled on the cloud server, I have turned
off ingest and display of regional models such as Hawaii, Alaska, Guam and PR
due to resource demands. The global GFS 0.5 degree should be available.

Ticket ID: PJZ-808644
Department: Support AWIPS