Re: 20000418: CODIAC Dataset Description

>Date:20000419

Fuqing,

The OSO Model Data Naming Convention:

All GRIB files available on the OSO data server conform to the following
naming convention.

us008_gf0{##}_{YYMMDDHH}_{T}x{G}{F}x

where:

{##} is the model number:
                39 = NGM
                77 = AVN
                81 = AVN SSI (initialization)
                78 = MRF
                85 = Meso-Eta (40km)
                86 = RUC/MAPS
I believe this is the data in question..

                89 = Eta (run at 40km, output grid at 80km)
{YYMMDDHH} is the year, month, day, and model cycle hour

{T} is the grid type:
                 H = Family of Services
               Y/Z = AWIPS grids

{G} is the grid number:
                 A = 201 N.Hemisphere
                 H = 213 National CONUS Double Resolution
                 I = 202 National CONUS
                 J = 203 National AK
                 N = 207 National AK
                 Q = 211 Regional CONUS
                 R = 212 Regional CONUS Double Resolution
                 U = 215 Regional CONUS Quadruple Resolution
                 X = Experimental

{F} is the forecast hour:
                 A = 00 (initialization)
                 B = 06
                 C = 12
      FOR AWIPS GRIDS ONLY, if grid type is Z
                 A = 02
                 B = 03
                 C = 04
                 D = 08

*************************************
us008_gf089_00012612_YxQIx

would imply that it was run at 40km and the output was 80km.

The Q indicates grid 211, and it is the ETA grid 212 that generates WTMPK.

Additionally, our ETA dataset does not include SST's (parameter would be
WTMPK) I would suggest the Ship and Buoy dataset, which should include
temperatures. Or it may be possible to obtain the 212 output for that time
which should include WTMPK. If this dataset is of import to you and your
research I can investigate the possibilty of obtaining the grid 212 ETA
for that time period.

Thank you for using the COMET Case Study Library,

-Jeff
Jeff Weber
Unidata/NWS-COMET Case Study Library
University Corp for Atmospheric Research

address@hidden
PH:303-497-8676
URL--http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/jweber