Re: Converting images (fwd)

Hi Kevin,

This seems to be a hot topic today....

<snip>
Tom W wrote:
>If you can use NetCDF instead of HDF, then the converter at:
>http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/visit/netcdf/
>might help you.  It can produce lat/lon per point navigation as well.
<snip>

In addition to Tom W's comment, if netCDF versions of the images are
sufficient for your IDL work, you can use McIDAS to do the conversion.

o create an ADDE dataset containing the input AREA files (you should
  already have MYDATA/IMAGES defined)

o create an output netCDF ADDE dataset definition using DSSERVE

  DSSERVE ADD NETCDF/IMAGES NCDF 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE "McIDAS IMAGES IN
netCDF

o copy the input image in AREA form to an output netCDF:

  IMGCOPY MYDATA/IMAGES.nnnn NETCDF/IMAGES.mmmm SIZE=ALL

  Here, 'nnnn' is the dataset position number for the input image
  (e.g., 120, 133, 1234, ..., 9999), and 'mmmm' is the output dataset
  position number (e.g., 1, 2, 1000, ..., 9999).

The resultant netCDF version of the input image will be named
IMAGESmmmm.nc and will be located in your McIDAS working directory.

* Tom Yoksas                                             UCAR Unidata
Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                                  P.O. Box
3000 *
* address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/*

If this does not correctly address your problem, I can see what else we
can do, I have some experience with IDL/ENVI.

Thank you,

-Jeff