Re: 20020403: reading case study tapes?

Hi Chris,

Have you looked at:

http://www.comet.ucar.edu/resources/cases/casedoc.htm#Tape_Procedures

Comments embedded below..

-Jeff

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

No compression on the tapes, just high density vs low density..

<from man tar>

 b    Blocking Factor.  Use when reading or  writing  to  raw
          magnetic  archives  (see  f below).  The block argument
          specifies the number of  512-byte  tape  blocks  to  be
          included  in  each read or write operation performed on
          the tarfile.  The minimum is 1, the default is 20.  The
          maximum  value  is  a  function of the amount of memory
          available and the blocking requirements of the specific
          tape device involved (see mtio(7I) for details.)

          When a tape archive is being read, its actual  blocking
          factor will be automatically detected, provided that it
          is less than or equal to the  nominal  blocking  factor
          (the  value of the block argument, or the default value
          if the b modifier is not  specified).   If  the  actual
          blocking  factor  is  greater than the nominal blocking
          factor, a read error will result.
<end>

Do we see this read error?

> [herbster@thermal ~]$ ll /dev/*st0*
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       9, 128 Mar 30 22:20 /dev/nst0
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       9, 224 Mar 30 22:20 /dev/nst0a
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       9, 160 Mar 30 22:20 /dev/nst0l
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       9, 192 Mar 30 22:20 /dev/nst0m
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       9,   0 Mar 30 22:20 /dev/st0
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       9,  96 Mar 30 22:20 /dev/st0a
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       9,  32 Mar 30 22:20 /dev/st0l
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       9,  64 Mar 30 22:20 /dev/st0m
>
> I'm trying to determine what each of the device nodes does.  The only
> ones that give a non-error to mt are the base nodes.
>
> [herbster@thermal ~]$ mt  -f /dev/nst0 status
> SCSI 2 tape drive:
> File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
> Tape block size 1024 bytes. Density code 0x15 (EXB-8500 or QIC-1000).
> Soft error count since last status=0
> General status bits on (45010000):
>  BOT WR_PROT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

> [herbster@thermal ~]$ mt -f /dev/nst0a status
> /dev/nst0a: No such device or address
>
> [herbster@thermal ~]$ mt -f /dev/nst0l status
> /dev/nst0l: No such device or address
>
> [herbster@thermal ~]$ mt -f /dev/nst0m status
> /dev/nst0m: No such device or address

None of these will work as the systen cannot "see" these devices..

We simply run tar xvf /dev/rmt/?bn  (do this until no more tar files)

Where ? is the device # (0 or 1 in our case) b indicates binary data, and
n is for no rewind.

Probably not much help, but maybe some light got shed on something with
the URL and comments, keep me posted and I am digging deeper as well.

Thanks,

Jeff

Unidata Support