CONDUIT Migration

Pete and David,

We would like to add data to the CONDUIT data stream. Following feedback
from the message below, users are not ready at this time to have the 1
degree GFS go away, so at this time, we are looking at a bandwidth
increase for the 0.5 degree GFS, and RUC2 hourly grids.

One item related to GEMPAK that Pete had mentioned was the amount of
CPU required to decode GRIB2. I have modified the GEMPAK dcgrib2 decoder
for 5.9.3 to eliminate the unpacking and repacking of these grids using
existing GRIB1 bit packing, so now it is just about the same as using
FILE.

As you are both directly affected by any increase in bandwith for
CONDUIT, I would like to make sure this is within your capability.
We are duplicating all data products at the moment for a peak of 4GB of
data per hour. In order to transition the products, we would phase in
the new names over a period of days/weeks so that you would not have to
relay duplicate data, but you do have the capability to receive that
data now.

The NCEP LDM server for the new CONDUIT stream of products is
ncepldm.woc.noaa.gov. You should be configured to connect to that name
now. This is a front end to 2 machines named ldm1.woc.noaa.gov and
ldm2.woc.noaa.gov. Eventual plans are for NCEP to have 6 machines that
the virtual name ncepldm.woc.noaa.gov can access (adding 2 each at the
Southern Region office in Fort Worth and at NOAAs' Boulder location).

I will be updating the documentation of request lines and pqact actions
for the NCEP file names. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport