[CONDUIT #HGF-659268]: setting up new CONDUIT feed

Hi Carissa,

re:
> rtstats is now open through the firewall.

We are not receiving stats from ldm-w1.p.woc.noaa.gov or ldm-w4.p.woc.noaa.gov
yet.  This typically indicates that

- the 'exec "rtstats -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu"' line is commented
  out or missing

- that the rtstats exec line was uncommented and the LDM was not restarted
  (for any change to ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf to take effect, the LDM must
  be stopped and then restarted)

- something is blocking rtstats from sending data to rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu

The system we receive real-time stats on is open, so we always ask the
site that is trying to report stats to (re)check their setup.

re:
> Also, we had a question that would probably get answered this Nov, but
> can't wait that long.

:-)

re:
> In the registry.xml I found the hard way that the
> "hostname" has to be fully resolved.

This is in the LDM documentation :-)

re:
> But, the follow up question is what
> is that supposed to do?

It is used as the name under which reported real-time stats will
be shown in the Statistics by Host page of our IDD Current
Operational Status site.

re:
> And should it/can it use IP's instead.

It is easier for us if sites use a fully-qualified name (so we know
what the site is), but IP addresses work as well.

re:
> The WOC
> questioned if the configuration file is really using the NTP section
> then we should be using IPs and not hostname. Can you fill in the
> knowledge gap on how that works?

The way you phrase this question suggests that the WOC is referring to
the names used in the NTP servers section of registry.xml, not the
hostname section.  Both can be specified as IP addresses.  We would
prefer, however, that the hostname be either the fully qualified
name of the machine (DNS name) or a name that suggests who the site
is.

Consider the list of machines reporting real-time statistics to us:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/siteindex

The first three entries in this list are IP addresses.  In order for
us to figure out who these sites may be, we have to attempt an
IP -> name lookup (e.g., 'nslookup') or a 'whois'.

Ticket ID: HGF-659268
Department: Support CONDUIT