19990204: Unidata/Wisconsin system upgrade in June?

>From: Chad Johnson <address@hidden>

Chad,

>I am in the process of the scheduling a systems upgrade for
>unidata.ssec.wisc.edu with our Unix admin folks. I told them the
>optimal time would be sometime during semester break and after the
>McIDAS May upgrade. In the past, we have switched the broadcast to
>a backup system during the upgrade. Once again, that could be
>done. I'm thinking the best time would be sometime in early to mid
>June. Do you have any feelings on this issue?

This sounds good.  Perhaps it would be wise to schedule this mod
at the same time that the MD, GRID, and TEXT products are to be
dropped from the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.  We are hoping that
this will be effective on July 1.

                       ^____  7.6 :-)
                     ^____  7.6 :-)

>Are there any other items we should think about updating. We had once talked
>about doing away with the F0 packetizing stuff and simply sending compress
>files.

Right, we did talk about this.

>Is there any logistics preventing us from doing this, such as OS/2 sites,
>McIDAS Routing etc?

The McIDAS routing procedure (which gives user an "event" scheduler) is
the sticking point.  I have to develop a new way of doing this before
I can change the form of the data in the stream.

>Do you know if there are problems running the LDM on Solaris 2.7?

We have not upgraded our LDM machine to 2.7 yet.  I believe that we
are scheduled to do the upgrade coming up fairly soon, however.  I can
get back to you with comments on 2.7/LDM after we do this.