19990603: backup selector site for NIDS floater

>From: Unidata User Support

Paul,

>From address@hidden  Tue Jun  1 08:03:20 1999
>This problem was never resolved and it has cost me many educational
>opportunities. Why are they the only ones who can access the change?
>This is totally unacceptable!

we have come up with a strawman proposal for backup selection
management of the NIDS floaters that we want to run by you.

Dr. Rich Clark of Millersville University has indicated that he would
welcome an alternative NIDS floater selection site.  We feel that
selection of this site would be best handled by identifying a
participating university that would be willing to provide coverage
during those periods when Millersville has nobody manning their weather
lab.

Currently, Millersville can not guarantee that anyone will be on duty
from 22Z to 12Z on weekdays or on weekends or holidays (even though
they do provide coverage for a good fraction of these times).

To start with, we are looking for a site that would be willing to act
as an alternative throughout the summer until Labor Day.  This site
would be responsible for responding to community requests for
positioning and for sending, to the floater-nids email list,
notifications of impending relocations with meteorological explanations
for the changes.  We would expect that this site would _not_ change the
floaters during the times that Millersville personnel are on duty.
Additionally, we would expect that this site would attempt to set the
NIDS sites based on interesting weather phenomenon in a variety of
locations across the US.  This might mean that an interesting weather
event in one part of the country might not be covered if there was an
even more interesting event somewhere else (like a hurricane
approaching Florida taking precedance over explosive convective growth
in the mid west).

The primary contact at the alternative site would be free to designate
whoever s/he wants to make the changes and announcements to the
community.  Our only requirments for this(these) designated person(s)
are that they be an active member of the Unidata community and that
they make all changes from the single machine that would be enabled to
access the WSI web site.  We would also want to be given the name(s),
email addresses, and phone numbers of these designees.

My questions to you now are:

o do you feel that the additional coverage provided by such an
  alternative site would suit your needs

o is the College of DuPage willing to act as this alternative site
  and are you willing to act as the primary contact

If the above is acceptable, and if you are willing to act as the
alternative NIDS floater selection site, then we will arrange with WSI
to give one machine at COD access to their floater selection web page.
To do this we need the name/IP address of the machine from which you
would run your browser.  We will also ask you to contact Erick Horst at
Millersville so you can discuss the cooperation between Millersville
and College of DuPage that will be needed for this venture to be
successful.

I look forward to hearing from you in the very near future on this
proposal.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Thu Jun  3 22:30:53 1999

I will be getting back on Monday, June 7 and will respond in some detail.
Since Gilbert at NIU and we at COD will be more than willing to do this,
we will help with the alternative site. Between Gil and me and my staff
(we have mutual access to each others LDM and other data) I am sure that
someone will almost always be around to take care of the requests.

Thanks for your help. We will contact you on Monday.

Paul

* Paul L. Sirvatka          | Office: (630) 942-2118; Lab: (630) 942-2590    *
* Professor of Meteorology  | COD Weather Lab: (630)-858-0032                *
* College of DuPage         | Address: 425 22nd St.  Glen Ellyn, IL 60137    *

>From address@hidden  Fri Jun  4 12:19:34 1999
Tom:

I think your letter to Paul captures the tone of our discussion
perfectly. I hope that this alternative works smoothly (if COD accepts)
to the benefit the greater user community.

Talk to you again soon.

Rich