19990608: backup selector site for NIDS floater (cont.)

>From: Unidata User Support

Paul, Rich, and Eric,

I just received the access information to the NIDS floater site from
WSI Corp.:

address:  http://www.uni.wsicorp.com/
          click on the "Unidata IDD NEXRAD Site Maintenance" link
user: xxxxx
pass: xxxxx

Given that it is already after 20Z as I write this, let's shoot for
College of DuPage assuming backup selection duties tomorrow, June 9 at
22Z.  The backup floater selection responsibility will extend until
Labor Day with the possibility of extension.

To reiterate coverage schedules and responsibilities:

o Millersville University will be responsible for selection of the three
  NIDS floaters from 12Z until 22Z on week and non-holiday days.

  The primary contact at Millersville is:

  Dr. Rich Clark
  Millersville University
  Department of Earth Sciences
  Roddy Science Hall
  Millersville,  PA 17551-0303
  (717) 872-3930
  address@hidden

  Eric Horst is the technical contact at Millersville as far as the
  floater selections are concerned:

  Eric Horst
  Director, Weather Information Center
  Millersville University Meteorology
  (717) 871-2263
  address@hidden

o College of DuPage will be responsible for selection of the three NIDS
  floaters from 22Z until 12Z on weekdays and all day on weekends and
  holidays.

  The primary contact at College of DuPage is:

  Paul Sirvatka
  College of DuPage
  Department of Meteorology
  425 22nd St.
  Glen Ellyn,  IL 60137
  (630) 942-2118
  address@hidden

  The technical contact at College of DuPage (until we are informed
  otherwise) is also Paul Sirvatka.

  It is understood that Paul may designate anyone of his choosing to
  manage the NIDS floaters as long as that person is an active Unidata
  participant and understands and agrees to abide by the
  responsibilities detailed below.

During their periods of primary responsibility, both Millersville and
College of DuPage are responsible for:

o interpreting current weather conditions across the continental US
  and in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico to determine which NIDS sites
  would be likely to be able to observe the most interesting weather
  phenomena.  This, of course, is a judgement call.  We expect,
  however, that those doing the selection consider all types of
  interesting weather phenomena and give most weight to those events
  that are likely to affect or be interesting to the most numbers of
  people.

o responding to user requests for floater selection

o announcing floater changes to the address@hidden
  email list.  This announcement should include a short description of
  the meteorological conditions that warrant the site selection.

o contacting the alternate NIDS floater site and the UPC with a request to
  take over coverage in the event that they can not fulfill their
  responsibilities.  For example, it may be known that the site's
  internet connection will be down for an extended period of time; that
  the people usually responsible for the selections are unavailable due
  to illness;  etc.

  Unidata User Support staff can act as backup for the floater selections
  on an infrequent basis, but we would rather not.

o communicating any and all problems encountered with the WSI NIDS floater
  selection page with Unidata User Support (address@hidden)

It is understood that nobody is expected to remain vigilant for 24
hours per day or 7 days per week.  All that we ask is that everyone
involved takes this responsibility seriously.

I want to conclude by noting that we believe that Millersville has done
an excellent job of selecting the NIDS floater sites to date.  The
additional coverage that the College of DuPage will be providing will
make the NIDS floater products even more useful to the Unidata
community.  Many thanks to all of you that have been and will be
involved in this activity.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Tue Jun  8 14:56:42 1999

We agree. Millersville has always responded well when they were around and
were very sensitive to the needs of the community and to providing a
variety of weather sites. If they ever need anything, I hope they will
stay in contact with us.

Thanks very much to all of your dilegence towrad providing the best of
service to the community.  We hope that we will also benefit the Unidata
community.

Paul Sirvatka
Professor but not Dr. (officially!)

* Paul L. Sirvatka          | Office: (630) 942-2118; Lab: (630) 942-2590    *
* Professor of Meteorology  | COD Weather Lab: (630)-858-0032                *
* College of DuPage         | Address: 425 22nd St.  Glen Ellyn, IL 60137    *