19990713: NOAAPORT feed

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>OK, here's another matter, which may be more gray than anything.
>
>First, a few questions:
>
>What machine(s) are the top site(s) for spewing out the alphanumeric feed
>of NOAAPORT? All I see is thelma, I thought there were two more.

First, the situation right now is temporary.  There are three sites
ingesting NOAAPORT from satellite receivers: Alden, SSEC, and UCAR.
Each feeds one of the others for redundancy.  Each also feeds thelma,
so it has redundant feeders.  thelma is currently the only top
level relay, but this will change.

>But
>looking at the data latency logs (which seem to be woefully incorrect, as
>I am feeding off of data2.atmos.uiuc.edu, and my backup machine,
>weather3.admin.niu.edu, is feeding off my primary, weather.admin.niu.edu),
>that's the only one.

The latency reporting is driven by sites returning stats AND by
topology messages getting written into LDM log files.  If a site
doesn't reconnect (i.e. if the feed is very persistent) and if
the site has not been reporting stats (e.g. you a little while ago)
then the latency information needed for the reports won't be there.

>Second and main question. Does the NOAAPORT data come through Alden, and
>what are the current data restrictions on the NP alphanumeric feed? Is it
>still "educational, non-commercial use only?"

Yes, absolutely.  Unidata sites get the NOAAPORT feed for no charge.
They are prohibited from sending that data along to a commercial entity
that should be getting the data from a vendor or by receiving the
feed themselves.

>I am asking because someone
>may get a job at a local community, get a UNIX box, and want to suck up NP
>via the LDM.  I told him I would ask, but he'd most likely have to go
>through Alden and pay for it.

You do _not_ have permission to feed the NOAAPORT stream to someone that
is not in the Unidata community.  He should be looking at either subscribing
to a commercial service or purchasing a data reception system and doing
his own ingestion.

>When will NP NIDS and the GOES satellite data be made available?

The NIDS contract that the NWS has is set to expire this fiscal year,
but it is scheduled for at least a one year extension with the possibility
of two.  After the extension runs out, the unoffical word from NWS is
that all of the NIDS data will be on NOAAPORT.  Given the volume of this
data, this may require yet another NOAAPORT channel (5).

>Can this
>be made available to sites with high bandwidth? (we're expanding our T3
>and we have a T1 to boot @ NIU).

We will have to address this in the future.  Suffice it to say that
we have been told that the NIDS data currently in NOAAPORT will be
encrypted.  What happens after the NIDS contract extension expires
is anyone's guess (we can not commit to doing anything when the NWS
has not officially committed to making the data freely avaiable).

>Questions, questions, questions...

Yup.

Tom

>From address@hidden  Wed Jul 14 15:27:06 1999

re: IDD top level relay
>OK.

re: You do _not_ have permission to feed the NOAAPORT stream to someone that
    is not in the Unidata community.  He should be looking at either subscribing
    to a commercial service or purchasing a data reception system and doing
    his own ingestion.

>Gotcha. I routed him to Alden if he gets the job.

re: NIDS data on NOAAPORT