19990830: McIDAS Imagery Gone

>From: Chad Johnson <address@hidden>

Chad,

I want to thank you for your considered and patient reply to Jim
Koermer regarding yesterday's outage of GOES data in the
Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.  We greatly appreciate all that you folks
do there and the considerable extra effort that you make to keep things
running smoothly on holidays and weekends.  Unfortunately, we do not
have the funds to support 24x7 coverage in the SSEC data center.

I also especially appreciate you letting folks know that the missed
imagery is in the online Unidata-Wisconsin archive.  Those truely
interested in the meteorology of hurrican Dennis will undoubtedly go
back to the archive and back fill their data holdings.

Thanks once again,

Tom

Jim Koermer wrote:
>> It appears there is a problem with McIDAS area files. Here, the last
>> GOES-W data was 0500Z and GOES=E was 0315Z. From a quick check of a
>> number of other university web sites, this seems to be uniform, so I
>> think the problem is at SSEC.
>>
>> With two Atlantic hurricanes, this is a really bad time for this to go
>> down. I wonder why an astute programmer at SSEC can't write a script to
>> do some automatic checking and restart some of their systems or send
>> some notification to the appropriate person when things go down. Just
>> when I was thinking how reliable the McIDAS feed has been for about the
>> past month, then ...

Chad Johnson replied: