19990907: compression on GINI

>From: tomw <address@hidden>

Tom,

>Hope you had a nice, long weekend!!

It was definitely long!  I worked full days on Saturday and Sunday
on the ceiling over my front porch in Longmont (Mike Wright came
over on Saturday and helped; good thing).  Well, the ceiling is up
and it looks great!  Now, all that is needed is some washing (the
boards got dirty from our filthy hands), moulding in the corners
and priming and painting of areas near the ceiling.  I am going to
leave the ceiling boards their natural color since it looks so good
(they have all been waterproofed, so that should not be an issue).
So, the last _big_ job is like 99.9% finished!

>Say, in one of the gazillion messages floating around last week,
>you mentioned some discussions with NESDIS on ways to compress
>image data for distribution.

Right.  The GINI spec shows that there is a byte in the header that
indicates whether or not the image is compressed.  We had Linda Miller
contact folks at NESDIS about what the compression was going to
look like, but we found out that there are no plans at the moment
and the addition of compression has zero funding.  Since we are
grabbing the data off of COMET's NOAAPORT receiver, and since the
files can be HUGE, I figured that we could probably get our opinion
on what to do listened to by those that would make the decision
(unlike other, unnamed groups/people (wink, wink) :-)

>Could you give me a little background?

Here are the results of some tests that Chiz ran on compression
strategies: