20000102: NLDN Y2K IDD header

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

David,

>     Happy new year!

Sandy is not yet back to work, so I am jumping in to see if I can
help out.

>Again, many thanks for your help getting the NLDN feed software
>compilable and ready for y2k.
>
>Unfortunately it seems there is a problem with the header for the new
>feed. The header used to be:
>YYJJJHHMbMe
>It appears the header is now going out as:
>YYYYJJJMbMe
>The HH (hour) seems to have disapeared when adding CC to year. The
>header should be:
>YYYYJJJHHMbMe
>As advertised in the email to the Unidata community.

I first suspected that the 'strftime' formatting block got altered
leaving out the hour portion of the output file name, but I just
checked the patch that Sandy developed and see that the only field that
he changed was the year:

old:

    strftime(n->binFileName, 8, "%y%j%H", begTm);

new:

    strftime(n->binFileName, 8, "%Y%j%H", begTm);

The problem turns out to be the maximum number of characters that can
be written is incorrect.  The '8' in the 'strftime' call needs to be
changed to '10'.  This change needs to be made to the nldnldm.c module,
and the executable needs to be remade.  I am under the impression that
Sandy has told you (or Pete) how to do this already.

>I suspect correcting this is as simple as as changing a 7 to a 9
>somewhere in the code.

Pretty good!  Actually 8 to 10 :-)

>But since I am c++ illiterate (I'll have to
>change that someday) I'm not sure where (and frankly I do not see an
>obvious 7 to change - perhaps it is the 8 in
>strftime(n->binFileName, 8, "%Y%j%H", begTm);

Right as rain!!

>Also, if your time allows, would you mind helping us get rid of any
>reliance on libs or headers in /home/rwh? It would be really nice to
>have all this stuff in one place and self reliant.

I will let Sandy handle this when he returns later this week.

>regards,
>David

Tom

>From address@hidden  Mon Jan  3 14:10:39 2000

Thanks Tom,
     The hour is back in the header. Now I just
have to wait for some data to see if the decoders
are getting it OK.
David