20000203: Bad "Lo2 - Longitude of last grid point" in MERCator GINI sectors

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Hi Barb,

We have noticed that the Lo2 parameter in the GINI Puerto Rico and
Hawaii regional sectors has an incorrect sign.  This situation started
sometime after Tuesday evening (I don't know exactly when it may have
started since I was not looking at the imagery yesterday).

The values I am unpacking from the headers look like:

Puerto Rico Regional VIS, 3.9 um, 10.7 um, 12.0 um (I didn't check the WV):

lat1: 9.000000  lon1: -77.000000
lat2: 25.665000  lon2: 59.459000

Hawaii Regional VIS, 3.9 um, 10.7 um, 12.0 um (I didn't check the WV):

lat1: 9.343000  lon1: -167.315000
lat2: 28.083600  lon2: 145.878000

You can see from these that the sign of the longitude for the "last grid
point" is inverted from what it should be.

As an aside comment, AWIPS workstations will not notice this error
since their display code does not use the LAT,LON pairs in the header
to do navigation.  GEMPAK/N-AWIPS does not see this problem since it
has a rudimentary sanity check in unpacking the LAT,LON points.  If the
sign of the last grid point longitude looks wrong, it gets changed to
look correct.  The problem is only seen by us poor shmos that are
assuming that the header information that we are trying to use is
correct.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide on this.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Mon Feb  7 11:40:49 2000
>Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 13:40:37 -0500
>Subject: Incident notification from Help!

Thank you for your request for help.  A technician will be contacting you.

Your call tracking number is PROO-4GAPMF
Your problem has been recorded as: Positive values versus negative values
reported within the longitudinal parameters contained in the Product
Definition Block of the AWIPS header information.   Reported problem
confirmed by PRC software personnel.