20000228: request for representative sizes of GOES imagery files

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Hi,

Bob Fox has given Unidata permission to increase the volume of our data
requests from SSEC through the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.  In order
to make rational judgements on how much data can be handled through our
IDD system, we need to understand the volume that could be generated by
increased data requests.  This means that I need some rough estimates
of the temporal and spatial resolutions of the various GVAR imager and
sounder products in AREA file format.  I need to present these estimates
to the Unidata User Committee at their meeting in mid-March.

Would it be possible to get current information on imagery and sounder
products available from GVAR platforms?  What I am interested in is
information (size in bytes, temporal and spatial resolution, etc.) on:

o GVAR imager products (meaning the various scans and bands)
o GVAR sounder products (various bands)
o the temporal and spatial "resolution" of the GVAR imager and sounder
  products
o AREA file sizes for the GOES-8/10 imager and sounder products

I am hoping that you have this sort of information readily available,
or that you can point me to information on the web that would help me
out.

Any help you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Yoksas