20000306: GOES imager image Sizes

>From: Dee Wade <address@hidden>

Dee,

>I have attached an excel spreadsheet with the data sizes to help you
>decide on additional data..

Thanks.  This is just the sort of thing I was looking for.

I notice that the spreadsheet contains data for the GOES imager.  Do
you have similar number for the GOES sounder, GMS, and METEOSAT
datasets?  This set of information is what Chad and I were talking
about in earlier emails.

>If you cannot read excel files let me know and I can fax them.

No problem.  I already read them in Excel and output them as HTML.

>Still waiting to hear from our Sys Adm about the root issue on an
>Unidata machine.

>From address@hidden  Mon Mar  6 11:10:27 2000

>I finally was able to make contact with Steve Barnet the head of SSEC's
>System Administration and as I expected he is opposed to giving root
>access outside of SSEC. His big concern of course is security.  Steve
>feels this creates a strong link between your site and ours, and  a
>break in at  your site can become a break in here and vice versa. This
>he points out should be a big concern to you folks too. We (SSEC
>machines) have had problems with getting hacked into lately. So far we
>haven't seen any real damage but you never know when it could hit.

I talked with our system administrator about this issue, and he was
not suprised by Steve B's position.  Mike Schmidt (our guy) commented
that a sudo capability would be fine, and that we would probably want
to limit remote access to ssh.  More on this later...

Tom