20000324: logon to SSEC McIDAS and access to SSEC realtime database

>From: UW SSEC Data Center <address@hidden>

Dee,

>We had Joleen change her logons. So far she was the only one who made that
>mistake.

OK, good.

>Since you never logon onto McIDAS to get data there is no need for you worry
>about this.

I didn't think so.

>If things change in the future we will address it then.

This may change.  This relates to the installation of a replacement for
the 'unirec' machine and Fox's offer of Unidata requesting increased
data from the center.

During our User Committee meeting, we discussed the possibility of
increasing what we send out in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream and
also making increased volumes of data available on the 'unirec' machine
(by ADDE and FTP).  By making a lot of data available on an as needed
basis on 'unirec' (we need to define what a lot actually is), we can
keep the volume of data going out in the UW stream reasonable.  I
encouraged User Committee members to think of the data flowing in the
UW stream as a baseline set of satellite imagery data for each site.
Additional data would be better had by access to a larger store of data
staged off of the SSEC SDI servers onto the 'unirec' machine.  This is
the concept that I began putting forth in our email conversations of
two weeks ago.

So, I would like to open a dialog with you and whoever else at SSEC is
needed on if doing such a staging is possible/feasible.  It seems to me
that this kind of staging would work well for the Unidata community.
We control data access on 'unirec' by limiting who we provided user
names and passwords to.  We would request access from 'unirec' to the
SSEC SDI servers so that data could be staged off and made available
only through 'unirec'.  The timeframe for this activity is the near to
not too far distant future.  I am putting together a survey for the
Unidata community that is aimed at determining what they want as a
baseline of data (i.e., sent through the IDD).  In this survey, I will
need to be able to make definite statements about what kinds of
additional data would be available on the 'unirec' machine so that the
users don't come back with the all too easy answer that they want
everything.

If a phone conversation on this subject would work better for you, then
you can call me at 303-497-8642.  If it would work better for me to
call you, then let's agree on a time/day for the conversation.

Tom

>From address@hidden  Fri Mar 24 11:30:56 2000
>Subject: Re: 20000324: logon to SSEC McIDAS and access to SSEC realtime
>database

Tom,
I am going to pass your message around to some other folks here.
Since Denise is your program manager I need to get her involved
I will also BobF and Tom Achtor. I think you've met Tom. He will
be our boss when Bob retires and is incharge of science. From my end
I will pull in Jerry.

Someone will get back to you soon about this and how we should proceed.
Let me know if you have any problems with the above.
Dee