20000327: NWS makes raw McIDAS images available free by ADDE (cont.)

>From: Jeff Masters <address@hidden>
>NOAAPORT GINI AREA

Jeff,

I was looking through our inquiry tracking system this morning when I
ran into an exchange you had with Don Murray a couple of years ago:

>   Hi guys, I am checking into sources of satellite imagery available over
>the internet for our business, and discovered that the NWS makes available
>the raw McIDAS imagery for free, if you can get the data via ADDE (there
>are plans to make the data available via ftp sometime later this year).

At the time, Don asked if you could provide us with the URL for the web
site that you had found.  Apparently, we never got a reply, or it is
lost somewhere in our tracking system.  If you can remember what the
URL is, can you provide it to us?

Along the same lines, I had been meaning to contact you about satellite
data access through your IDD injection node.  I am under the impression
that you are currently running a single channel SSEC SDI box that is
being used to inject NOAAPORT TG (channel 3) data into the Unidata
IDD.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  My question to you is whether
or not you (the Weather Underground, that is) would be interested in
augmenting your system to ingest the NOAAPORT GOES-East and GOES-West
channels that contain GINI imagery (this is all exploratory, mind
you)?  We would then require that you would make these data available
to the Unidata community through FTP and ADDE services.  So far, we
have two sites that can provide this data to the community through
ADDE: the UPC and Plymouth State.  The ADDE access to GINI imagery has
been made available by my writing appropriate ADDE servers and
including them in our McIDAS distribution.

To get an idea of the breadth of data that is available in NOAAPORT,
please check out Jim Koermer's "Make Your Own..." portion of the
Plymouth State Weather Center: http://vortex.plymouth.edu/ (the link is
in the left hand side frame).  McIDAS ADDE routines are used to access
the GINI imagery and produce GIF (tm) renditions through the "McIDAS
GINI" link on:  http://cyclone.plymouth.edu/make.html.

I am hoping that you (or others in the greater weather community) will
be interested in providing the Unidata community with additional,
spatially diversified access to these imagery through one or more of
the IDD, FTP, or ADDE.  If you are interested at all, please let me
know.  Even if you are not interested, please send me the URL of the
site where you first found that the NWS was making imagery data
available for free via ADDE.

Thanks in advance...

Tom Yoksas