20000330: DRI co-location with NWS service office

>From: address@hidden (Larry "The Weather Man" Riddle)

Larry,

>       According to my sources, the Desert Research Institute (DRI) in
>       Reno IS co-located with the local Weather Service office.  My
>       contacts there (whom I haven't actually talked with lately) are
>       Kelly Redmond and Jim Ashby.  Is there something I can ask them?

It would be _very_ interesting to find out if DRI is allowed access
to the NOAAPORT GINI imagery that the NWS office is probably receiving.
If it is getting access to the data (through an NFS-mounted disk, etc.),
then the next question for the DRI folks is whether or not they would
be willing to run the McIDAS remote ADDE server and give other Unidata
sites access to the imagery through ADDE.

To recap (and to update the tracking system information base), we now
have two sites where Unidata users can get GINI image data by ADDE:
the UPC and Plymouth State College.  I have made overtures to the
Weather Underground (no response so far) and NASA/JSFC (Johnson
Space Flight Facility).  JSFC is getting the data through their AWIPS
installation downlink (PRC NOAAPORT reception system), but they are
not (yet?) making it available to any non-AWIPS machines.  This situation
may change, and I have at least planted the seed of an idea there that
this would be "a good thing" for the Unidata community (what is good
for Unidata is good for you :-) (paraphrase of line from Catch 22)).
I felt justified in making this request since I just provided JSFC
with my McIDAS ADDE server code for GINI imagery (tit for tat).

Let me know how the conversations go, and thanks for touching base!

Tom