20000415: unreliable IDD feed of raob data (Oakland Raobs (stn # 72493) )

>From: "Prof. Sinton" <address@hidden>

Douglas,

>I am a faculty member of the Meteorology Dept. at San Jose State
>University, San Jose Calif. (SJSU), which is a UCAR affiliate.

>Can you direct me
>to an ftp site where I can get (via ftp) the Oakland, CA raob data
>(station #72493)?  Although we get this data via McIDAS at SJSU, it is not
>coming in early enough or consistently enough for our research and
>educational needs.

The only FTP sites that exist in the community for data like this are
supplied with data by IDD feeds like the one at SJSU.  If your data
reception is not working well, we would do better to solve whatever
problem is causing the unreliable feed.  Please have Mike Voss contact
Unidata User Support with follow-up information.

As far as sites having the data, there are several sites that archive
the textual data from the IDD.  You can see who will be willing to give
you FTP access to the data by sending a note to:

address@hidden.

You must, however, become a member of this list before you can post to
it.  You can join the list by filling out appropriate information at:

>I notice that the website at
>http://www-das.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html gets the raob data early
>and consistently.  I asked their webmaster about this and he directed me
>to UNIDATA.  It doesn't matter to me if the data are undecoded or not; I
>just need to find an ftp site where I can access these data as soon after
>the observation times (0000 UTC and 1200 UTC) as possible.

Until we can get the feed problem at SJSU sorted out, you can access
decoded raob data in the RTPTSRC dataset on our McIDAS ADDE server,
ADDE.UNIDATA.UCAR.EDU.  Mike V. should be able to help you set this
up.

>Alternatively, if you would prefer ftp'ing these data to SJSU, you can
>send them to pub/cv/data/UCAR (130.65.92.165 or
>ftp://ferdinand.sjsu.edu/pub/cv/data/UCAR).

Unfortunately, the Unidata Program Center is not a data center.  We are
unable to setup an FTP of the data you are looking for on a routine
basis since we run our ingest machines on a non-operational basis.

>I look forward to hearing from you.

Please check with Mike V. about pointing your McIDAS session to our
ADDE server for the RTPTSRC (for decoded) and/or RTWXTEXT (for
undecoded) data for raob data.  When the data ingest situation at SJSU
is sorted out, you can return your McIDAS session to point at the
SJSU ADDE server, vortex.sjsu.edu.

>Thank you.
>Douglas M. Sinton

Tom Yoksas