20000419: satellite survey file size information (final)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

re: needed disk space for higher resolution VIS images
>> Sending out 1 km VIS images every 15 minutes for one of the GOES
>> satellites would increase the volume of data in the Unidata-Wisconsin
>> datastream by about 86 MB per daylight hour.  Doing both satellites
>> would increase the volume by 172 MB per daylight hour.
>
>Oh, whats a 100 MB here and there? :-)

Yes, and this is from a person who isn't running the McIDAS GRID decoding
because it would take up too much space ;-)  Seriously though, you would
be suprised by how many sites are squeeking by with marginal setups
(bandwidth and disk space, that is).

re: probable outcome of datastream changes
>> o double the temporal resolution of VIS, IR and WV images; if the
>>   spatial resolution of the VIS images is not enough, double it.
>
>I like it.

With the identification of multiple sites willing to provide ADDE
access to high resolution GOES-East/West VIS imagery (both GINI and
AREA), it should really not be necessary to increase the spatial
resolution of the images in the UW stream.  This would at least
keep the volume down to something that is manageable for "small"
sites.

As a side comment, the VIS images, while being very cool to look at,
are the ones with the least amount of usable information for research.
Of course, they can be very useful for education...

re: keep the floaters as they are or do away with them
>I agree with the latter, if you're going to do that.

I agree.

re: provide ADDE access so that sites wanting to could create their own
sector where they want, when they want

>Which may become the primary way sooner than you think if you decide to
>make these available to all...

Actually, I expect people that are really hungry for high resolution
VIS images will jump on this one quickly.  Other sites may well be
content to use the images that arrive in the UW stream.

re: Unfortunately, there are still a lot of sites out there that don't
have good bandwidth or enough disk space to receive/store a lot of data

>OK. I would have thought otherwise.

There are more and more sites that do have good connectivity, but
they really are not the majority.

re: ADDE access to imagery looks to be a viable option.  I am working with
SSEC to setup access to lots of data from their realtime databases
for Unidata sites, but that will take some time.

>Yes! How about SSEC get an ADDE server for UNIDATA users to access? THAT
>would be great!

This is exactly the plan.  We are proposing to install a new machine in
the SSEC Data Center through which all Unidata site imagery requests
will be channeled.  This, of course, includes ADDE access, but it might
also include FTP access for sites that don't/do not want to run McIDAS.

Later...

Tom

>From address@hidden  Wed Apr 19 15:13:25 2000

re: you are not running the McIDAS-XCD GRID decoder because of lack of
disk spac3

>I guess so. Yup, it does take up too much space...it crashed my machine 7
>days after you installed McIDAS-X. Soooo...I'll get a larger disk/machine
>this winter.

re: multiple ADDE sites that have the same data will help keep down
the hit on any one site

>True.

re: VIS images have the least amount of information

>Huh? Why?

re: VIS images will be very useful for education

>Yes, but...see above.

re: users wanting hi res VIS images will jump on ADDE bandwagon quickly

>No doubt!

re: sites with good connectivity are not the majority

>WOW! NOT the majority? Yikes!

re: planned ADDE access to SSEC realtime imagery data