20000426: monitor on Unidata product generator (cont.)

>From: Denise Laitsch <address@hidden>

Denise and Jerry,

>Thank you for the update.
>
>Shipping us a monitor to replace the failing one is a good use of resources.
>Hope your sys admin has one to spare.

Luckily, we do.  We will be sending you a

Sun GDM-1962B

which is a 21" color monitor with power cord.  Please let us know if
this is too big to fit where the machine is installed (e.g., the current
box may be rack mounted, etc.).

>It is not necessary for us to purchase the replacement computer. We do
>request the opportunity to review the system specifications and provide
>feedback prior to shipping it here (compilers, OS, and hardware specs.)
>just to avoid any surprises.

Fair enough.  We will put together the specs for the system as soon as I
receive the data estimates from Dee/Jerry.

Just for our information, is the current machine on a UPS?  Will the new
one be?

Just to catch you up on our thinking, we are thinking of a machine similar
(but not exactly the same as) the following:

Base System:  Dual Intel Pentium III 700 Mhz Coppermine CPU w/256 KB Cache
                ASUS P2BDS Dual CPU SCSI ATX BX AGP Motherboard
                Single Edge Connector Pentium II Slots
              One AGP, Four PCI and Two ISA expansion slots
              (2) 16550 serial ports and (1) hight-speed parallel port
              AGP Video Support and Two Stacked USB Connectors
              Integrated PCI Ultra DMA Hard/Floppy Drive Controller
              Teac 1.44 MB Floppy Drive
              Qty 2 - High-end ball-bearing CPU Fan
              Enlight 8902 Full Tower Case with 300 Watt UL LIsted Power Supply

Memory:       756 MB SDRAM (Ztech to Provide ECC Registered Memory)

Hard Drive:   Qty 1 - 18.2 GB IBM 10,000 rpm U2W SCSI hard drive w/2 MB Cache
              Qty 1 - Enhance Technology ER4610 Removable Hard Drive Rack
                w/lock and fan

Controller:   On-board Adaptec Ultra 2 Wide Chipset
              On-board Bus Mastering Ultra DMA IdE controller supporting 4
                devices

Monitor:      21" KDS VS-21E SVGA monitor

Video Card:   8 MB ATI Xpert 98 ABP 2x video accelerator

Multimedia:   Creative Labs 52X IDE CD-ROM

Network:      3Com 905B-TX PCI network adapter with driver software

Software:     N/A (customer supplied)

I/O:          Keytronics PS2 Windows 95 keyboard
              Logitech 3-button PS2 mouse

Warranty      Technical Reference and Manuals
and Support:  Lifetime Toll-Free technical support
              24 hours of testing
              3 year Parts and Depot Labor Warranty

The machine we do purchase will have more RAM, LOTs more disk with some
sort of RAID, redundant power supplies, dual network interfaces, and
better support.  Anything recommendations your system people can
provide at this stage would be greatly appreciated.  Do you have
gigabit ethernet capabilities in the Center?

>Thanks much,

Talk to you soon...

Tom