20000416: CIMSS products

>From: Denise Laitsch <address@hidden>

Denise,

>While we're talking, I'm wondering where you think we are with the CIMSS
>products addition to the broadcast? From this perspective, we believe
>we're waiting for a compression algorithm from Unidata.

I have been meaning to get back with you and Chad about this.  I have
written a PNG compression routine for McIDAS AREA files and have tested
it against several other compression schemes:  McIDAS delta, bzip2,
compress, and gzip.  I found that the PNG compression technique (which
is based on zlib) is the best for the job (but not by much; bzip 2 was
a close second).  I need to make my conversion routine more robust (small
effort) and write the uncompressor (started working on it yesterday).

>Once this is in
>hand, Chad will begin working on the product distribution, run through a
>testing phase, and so on.

Right.  I envision an LDM-to-LDM transfer from SSEC to the UPC using the
EXP feed type.  We would like to run this for several weeks to shake
out the bugs, develop instructions for our users, and get a new distribution
of ldm-mcidas decoders available for download (ldm-mcidas is the package
that Unidata-Wisconsin decoders are distributed in).

>Does this agree with your perspective of the effort?

Yes.

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Apr 26 12:42:23 2000
>Subject: Re: 20000416: CIMSS products

Sounds very good, Tom. Thanks much for the update and we'll wait to
hear from you next.

Denise