20000717: Potential for DRI hosting McIDAS ADDE server for NOAAPORT GINI imagery

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>
>GINI imagery

Greg,

I am contacting you as a follow-up to a conversation I had this morning
with Larry Riddle of UCSD/Scripps.  Larry, who is a member of the
Unidata Users Committee, recently talked to with Kelly Redmond of
DRI/WRCC about the possibility of DRI/WRCC hosting a McIDAS-X remote
ADDE server for NOAAPORT GINI imagery.  Larry informed me that DRI/WRCC
is colocated with a NWS forecast office, and that it apparently has
access to the GINI imagery and might be willing to host the ADDE
server, and that I needed to touch base with you about details.

First, some background.  I am trying to identify a set of sites,
scattered across the US, that have direct feed of NOAAPORT imagery and
are willing to provide ADDE access to the data to the greater Unidata
community.  So far, there are three sites providing this access:
UCAR/NCAR/SCD, Unidata Program Center, and Plymouth State College.
There are a few others that I am in the process of contacting now, so I
expect the the number to grow significantly in the near future.

My questions to you (and Kelly since he is CCed on this email) are:

o does, in fact, DRI/WRCC have access to the NOAAPORT imagery
o if yes, which NOAAPORT channels do you have access to (1 -> GOES
  East; 2 -> GOES West; 4 -> DCP Data Channel (channel 4 contains on
  experimental northern hemisphere composite from GOES, METEOSAT, and
  GMS))
o how do you have this access (NFS mounted disk(s) with directories
  of image files; FTP access, etc.)
o is DRI/WRCC willing to share this data with the greater
  Unidata community by hosting a McIDAS remote ADDE server
o if yes, are you the appropriate contact for this activity

Our experience has shown that the potential use of the ADDE access to
the data is a function of the network bandwidth to the server site, and
by how many server sites are available at any particular time.  The
load that server activities puts on the hosting machine is quite
modest.

I can provide more detailed information on what is involved in hosting
an ADDE remote server, including security issues, if/when you like.  If
DRI/WRCC is willing to host a McIDAS ADDE server, I can either assist
in or completely perform the installation and setup.

I look forward to further discussing this project with you in the near
future.

Tom Yoksas