20000717: ADDE access to NOAAPORT GINI imagery at U. Georgia (cont.)

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply!

>We have a single channel NOAAport receiver. I can
>automatically have it switch back and forth between
>channels, but right now I have it set on the GOESeast
>channel. (I have had it set up so it would switch to
>GOESeast on the hour, then go back to NWSTG). I wish we had
>a two-channel system.

Who is the manufacturer?

>Right now it is set up on an NFS-mounted drive to our LDM
>server and to other systems. I have had it set up so that
>it feeds into our LDM data stream. This puts a load on the
>LDM server, so I don't have it doing that right now. I have
>added some memory to the LDM server since then, so I should
>probably try feeding it through the LDM again.

Are you compressing the imagery before sending it in your LDM stream?
Where is your LDM stream going?

>We are about to put my lab directly on the campus fiber
>optic, rather than the old broadband that has supported us.
>This should help significantly with our connectivity. Most
>of our network problems were on campus. The fiber has been
>strung, we're just waiting for the card for my lab's hub.

Sounds good.

>I will also be upgrading the LDM server with a new 18GB
>disk. We have been running short of disk space on the
>current system. Finally, I will be swapping out my
>satellite dish for a larger dish. The NOAAport signal on
>the new satellite seems weaker than ever. We lose it
>occasionally and have been told the larger dish should end
>that problem. All of these upgrades are expected to take
>place in August.

Sounds like a busy month coming up.  Too bad it couldn't happen a
little further away from the fall semester (quarter?).

>I don't know whether this would help you or not. If you
>think my system would be of some benefit, let me know and
>we can discus it further.

Your future setup could indeed help the community at-large.

You may want to tryout McIDAS ADDE access to the imagery so that
you have some idea of what I am talking about.  Try the following:

<start a McIDAS-X session>
DATALOC ADD RTGINI ADDE.UCAR.EDu
DSINFO IMAGE RTGINI

The DSINFO will give you a list back of all of the groups in the RTGINI
dataset.  Assuming that you try this while it is still light out, try
the following:

IMGDISP RTGINI/GE1KVIS STA=KAHN MAG=1 EU=IMAGE SF=YES REFRESH='EG;MAP H 5
COU=ALL ST=GA;MAP H 9 WID=2'

When it is dark, the following will be more meaningful:

IMGDISP RTGINI/GE4KIR STA=KAHN MAG=1 EU=IMAGE SF=YES REFRESH='EG;MAP H 9'

Again, thanks for the quick response.  I am sure that we will be talking
more in the future.

Tom