20000717: ADDE access to NOAAPORT GINI imagery at U. Georgia (cont.)

>From: Thomas Mote <address@hidden>

Tom,

>I am out of town and will not be back until the 8/4, but I can adminster
>the system remotely.

OK, the following can certainly wait until you get back.

>I have used the ADDE server, so I know what you mean.
>I have not used the ADDE server with my own GINI data from the NOAAport
>system, however.

OK, the setup is not hard.  You just have to be able to "see" the GINI
image files from your ADDE server machine; edit the GINI server
configuration file; and define the GINI ADDE datasets.  After that, the
imagery simply looks like any other imagery in McIDAS.

>Here's what I have set up:
>
>Machine A (ugapdinrs.ggy.uga.edu) is the NOAAport receiver. It has a NFS
>mounted drive with the  GINI data. It also can also feed the data via the
>LDM to my LDM ingest machine.
>
>Machine B (cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu) is my LDM ingest machine and my ADDE
>server. I haven't used the ADDE much yet to be honest, but I have set it
>up. (I can't say that it is currently an active server. I can't remember
>whether I left this running before I left or not.)

I did a quick test to see if your ADDE server was accessible remotely;
it isn't.

>Right now my lab systems NFS mount the data directory from the LDM server
>and the GOESeast directory from the NOAAport receiver. I may just send all
>of the data across from the NOAAport receiver to the LDM ingest machine
>via the LDM. If I do this, I will no longer need to NFS mount the GOESeast
>directory on the NOAAport system.

OK.  ADDE is fastest when the data files being accessed are on the same
machine as the server (but NFS access works also).

>The NOAAport system is from PlanetaryData, the same outfit that installed
>the receiver at The Weather Channel and has a contract with the Army
>through NCAR. It is on a LINUX based system.

Sounds good.

>PlanetaryData has an "add on"
>to the LDM called pqpdinrs that allows me to feed the NOAAport data into
>my LDM.

Interesting.  I wasn't aware that PlanetaryData setup their product to
play nicely with the LDM.  Very cool!

>I am not compressing the data. I would like to know a little more about
>this.

We get NOAAPORT data from a system that is slaved off of the UCAR/COMET
installation (they have a four channel downlink for their AWIPS use).
We PNG compress the data using a routine that Steve Chiswell (Chiz)
wrote before shipping it to machines that can then serve them.  On the
receiving end, the data is uncompressed (again, by a routine that Chiz
wrote) and stored in native GINI files.  We are storing the data in a
hierarchical structure that is what GEMPAK/GARP/NMAP needs and which my
ADDE server can be configured for.  Imagery is then made available to
ADDE users (McIDAS and MetApps developers) over the Internet.
Currently, we are keeping between 7 and 10 days of GINI imagery
online.

Again, my hope is to identify as many sites as possible that are
running NOAAPORT ingestion systems (and are getting the imagery) that
are willing to service the greater community.  Being able to add you to
the list of participating servers would, in the long run, benefit the
entire community.  I hope that you will be willing and able to
participate in this experiment.

>Hope that answers your questions.

Yes.  I think that we should continue to touch base on the possibilities
for your hosting an ADDE server when your time permits.  Thanks again
for the quick reply!

Tom