Date: Wednesday, August 02, 2000 10:45 AM -0400
From: Arthur Wick <address@hidden>
To: Luis Cano <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: 20000801: Data delays-ADMIN NOTICE NOUS42 KWNO (fwd)]

Louie,

I don't know if you responded to this or not, but I'll take the opportunity to
try to set the record straight with regard to at least a few people.  As you
know, the Bell-Atlantic line outage yesterday interupted access to the Internet
from NCEP and some other NOAA users.  It also interupted the administrative
functions supported by the DC Metropolitan Area Network (e.g. e-mail).  But it
had no impact on the data flowing between the OSO Telecommunications Gateway
and NCEP -- there was no DBNet problem.

Unfortunately, during the Bell-Atlantic outage there was a computer problem
within the OSO Gateway.  At this point the cause of that problem is not known.
I have asked Dave Weinbrenner to attempt to determine from OSO  * What the
    problem was
    * What action was eventually taken (several hours after the end of the
    Bell-Atlantic problem) to resolve it  * What escalation procedures exist
    or can be created to help us get more responisve consideration at OSO when
    events such as this occur in the future.  Hopefully we can learn something
from this incident so as to be better able to deal with future events of this
type.

Art

Luis Cano wrote:

Sigh ...