NOAA-15 AVHRR Update

Just announced from NOAA/NESDIS:

Engineering tests of the NOAA-15 AVHRR are continuing through September
17th. During up to 2 high elevation orbits per day (as measured at the
NOAA CDA stations), the Manipulated Information Rate Processor (MIRP)
is being commanded from internal to AVHRR synchronization, then
returned to internal sync once out range. This is allowing NOAA
engineers to gather instrument telemetry from the AVHRR.

The recent observations of better quality HRPT and APT images from
NOAA-15 is not related to this, and not the result of something that
NOAA has done to the satellite. As we have observed since the failure
in July, the AVHRR sync periodically falls into the operational limits,
and produces usable images. But it is just as likely to drift out of
sync at any time. NOAA continues to collect and analyze the instrument
data.

Changes and updates to what we are doing can always be found on the
NOAASIS "Bulletins" page,
http://140.90.207.25:8080/EBB/ml/specialbull.html

--
SSEC Data Center            Email:  address@hidden