20001221: Redistribution rights

>From:  "Richard Chinman" <address@hidden>

Richard,

>Thank you for your concern and comments about the upcoming "contract"
>with WSI.

Again, I'm sorry that I didn't send my concerns to you at the beginning
of the week.

>I've been negotiating with WSI about UCAR re-distribution
>rights and have gotten agreement from WSI with the following wording:
>_________________
>"WSI grants UCAR limited redistribution rights for the NOWrad mosaic and
>unrestricted redistribution rights for the following six single-site
>WSR-88d
>products from all WSR-88d radar sites.  These WSR-88ds products include
>Base
>Reflectivity (Tilt 1),Composite Reflectivity,Vertically Integrated
>Liquid,
>Storm Total Rainfall, Radial Velocity 1 and Storm Relative Mean Radial
>Velocity Map (Tilt 1).  Redistribution of the NOWrad mosaics is limited
>data which is at least 48 hours old when used beyond UCAR.  Attribution
>should state that NOWrad is a registered trademark of WSI Corporation."
>____________________

Given your following comment about UCAR not contracting for single site
radar products from WSI, the portion of the redistribution rights
section that I was concerned about is moot.  My point was, however,
that the NWS will be making a lot more than these six products freely
available in NOAAPORT, so WSI should not try to limit redistribution of
any product that can be gotten freely in the NWSTG.

I am happy to see that WSI is willing to allow redistribution of the
NOWrad (tm) mosaics outside of UCAR after 48 hours.

Also, just for reference, we in the UPC always try to indicate that
NOWrad is a registered trademark of WSI Corporation.

>It turns out that no one at UCAR has a strong enough "requirement" for
>the single site data from WSI to warrant paying for that data feed.
>NOAAport will be sufficient for RAP and for COMET needs.

OK.

>Does the new wording (above) lessen your concern enough to move forward
>with an agreement?

Yes, very much so.

>My dealings with Maria Pirone indicate her
>willingness to be flexible about drafting new re-distribution rights, if
>we need them.

Excellent!  I am glad to hear this.

Thanks for letting me spout off...