20010105: reboot and /etc/system mods (cont.)

>From: Clint Rowe <address@hidden>

Clint,

>Okay, since you (and Mike) surely know more about tuning Solaris than I do,
>I'll take Mike's recommendations for gospel and make those changes as well.
>Here goes the reboot!

OK, I got back on and, after a minor change to the set of REDIRECTions
for 'mcidas', cranked up a McIDAS-X session.  This tested the availability
of enough shared memory.  Also, the ipcs command works again.

Next up, setting up the ADDE remote server.  Since you are running
NIS/NIS+, you have to do some setup somewhere (I know next to nothing
about NIS) for a user named 'mcadde'.  As a reminder, the user 'mcadde'
must have:

o same home directory as 'mcidas'
o be in the same group as 'mcidas' and 'ldm'
o have as its default shell '/bin/false' <- not a login account

I added an entry for a 'mcadde' user in /etc/passwd, but this was only
so I could run ~mcidas/mcinet7.7.sh and have the necessary lines added
to /etc/inetd.conf.  After doing this, however, I note that I can not
get to papagayo with a simple telnet to ports 500 or 503, both of
which are needed for remote ADDE services:

(wcfields.unidata.ucar.edu) 127 % telnet papagayo.unl.edu 500
Trying 129.93.52.150...
(wcfields.unidata.ucar.edu) 128 % telnet papagayo.unl.edu 503
Trying 129.93.52.150...

This may have something to do with NIS/NIS+.  Again, since I don't
know anything about NIS/NIS+, I am at a loss here.

I seem to remember that you setup zephyr to be able to handle remote
ADDE services, but this doesn't work anymore either.

Do you remember what you did/has to be done to enable connections to
ports 500/503 and setup the 'mcadde' user on papagayo?

Tom