20010105: reboot and /etc/system mods (cont.)

>From: Clint Rowe <address@hidden>

Clint,

>The stuff I used to use to manage NIS+ got changed with Solaris 8, so it
>doen't work like it used to.  I can add a 'mcadde' user easily, but I'll have
>to figure out how to get the port needed active.  I think I have to make
>changes to /etc/services, then transfer that to NIS+.  I'll get back to
>you when/if I get it figured out.

OK.  The changes have already been added to /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf
by the mcinet7.7.sh script in ~mcidas:

/etc/services:
mcserv          500/tcp      # McIDAS ADDE port
mccompress      503/tcp      # McIDAS ADDE compression port

/etc/inetd.conf:
mcserv  stream  tcp     nowait  mcadde  /home/mcidas/bin/mcservsh
mcservsh -H /home/mcidas
mccompress      stream  tcp     nowait  mcadde  /home/mcidas/bin/mcservsh
mcservsh -H /home/mcidas

I wish I could pass along some sage advice on how to deal with NIS+
on Solaris 8, but I don't know nothing from NIS :-(

I would go and ask Mike S., but he is not in today.

Tom

>From address@hidden Fri Jan  5 15:47:19 2001
>Subject: Re: 20010105: reboot and /etc/system mods (cont.)

Tom,
I think I've got it!  When I do the telnet commands, it just sits there
after connecting until I hit return a couple of times, then it dies.  I'm
guessing that's because I'm not giving it a valid ADDE command, so hopefully
it's ready to rock-and-roll!
Clint

PS here are the "errors"

# telnet papagayo 500
Trying 129.93.52.150...
Connected to papagayo.
Escape character is '^]'.

ÿprotocol version mismatch:client wants 218762506, server knows 1
Connection closed by foreign host.
# telnet papagayo 503
Trying 129.93.52.150...
Connected to papagayo.
Escape character is '^]'.

ÿprotocol version mismatch:client wants 218762506, server knows 1
Connection closed by foreign host.
#

Clinton M. Rowe
Associate Professor
Meteorology/Climatology Program                  phone:(402)472-1946
Department of Geosciences                          fax:(402)472-4917
University of Nebraska-Lincoln                        address@hidden