20010107: McIDAS 7.7 ADDE setup at UGa (cont.)

>From: "Thomas L. Mote" <address@hidden>

Tom,

>Can you wait a day or two for me to answer?

Yes, of course.  But then again, you already did answer :-) I would
like to get the word out early this week if at all possible.

>We are still
>having some problems with the new network in our building.
>We were getting some very slow transfer rates between the
>NOAAport receiver in my rooftop lab and the LDM server
>(cacimbo) on the first floor of our building, even though
>both are on a new fiber installation. The speed was so slow
>that we were losing large parts of images from the NOAAport
>system.

I noticed this, but I did not know the exact cause.  Plymouth State
mounts the disk onto which their NOAAPORT ingest system (from Unisys)
writes the files.  When an image is coming in, one can get blank or
otherwise messed up data that looks similar to what I saw on your
system on Saturday.  I figured that the cause was the same, but I now
see that this is not the case.

>I temporarily switched the LDM system back today to
>the old thick ethernet, and speeds improved dramatically.
>Maybe you should try pulling off some images now and how it
>responds.

OK.

>This temporary switch means it is probably slower
>to the outside world. The old system will also slow
>significantly when the spring semester starts tomorrow,
>because that's where most of the traffic is still confined.

I understand.

>I'm going to try to get some answers out of our networking
>people tomorrow. They just installed this building network
>a couple of months ago. Once we get this ironed out, I'm on
>board.

Excellent.

>BTW, the system is a dual Penium 800.

OK, sounds good.

>P.S. I didn't realize Clint Rowe had an Enterprise 450
>now. Is he getting NOAAport?

Clint got the E450 fairly recently.  He swung a very nice deal with
Sun.  He basically got the E450 for $17K since he was purchasing a
number of Ultra 5s for his lab.  His comment was that the state of
Nebraska Sun rep for education was keen on improving relationships with
the university system.  Clint was in the right place a the right time
to take advantage of this.  As to him having a NOAAPORT receive system,
he doesn't.  We are sending him NOAAPORT GINI data from motherlode.
This works since his campus is on Internet2, and his machine, papagayo,
is connected to the university network with 100 Mb ethernet.

We got the E450 that we are installing at SSEC through a Sun grant
program.  Basically, we had to write a one page justification of why
they should sell us some hardware at 40% of list.  We pointed out that
there could be no better showcase for their wares than a national
system of thematic data servers (weather mostly) that were geared to
getting realtime and archival data to the university community.  We
plan to try and augment this budding system through university
participation and potentially Unidata equipment grants (that is
controlled by NSF, not us, but they are very interested in the thematic
data server concept).

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Jan  8 14:00:31 2001
>Subject: Re: 20010107: McIDAS 7.7 ADDE setup at UGa (cont.)

Tom,

I think we have a temporary fix that seems to be working.
The LDM system (cacimbo) is on the new network, but we have
the NOAAport system on the old network. Performance seems
to be good, and the GOES products seem to be flowing
without interruption.

If you would like to get on and make any changes, the
mcidas account is set to "unidata_yoksas". I have to run to
a meeting shortly. If you are satisfied with what you see,
feel free to go ahead and announce.

Tom