20010320: NOAAPORT GINI satellite data decoding

>From: "Jason J. Levit" <address@hidden>

Jason,

Previously, you wrote to Linda Miller:

>>   We're now receiving the NOAAPORT GOES satellite data feed here at OU,
>> and I'm trying to figure out what format the data is in, and how to
>> decode it.  We need to read the raw GOES data and convert it into some
>> data we use in our weather forecast system...do you know who I can
>> contact at Unidata that might know something about this particular data
>> stream, and ways to decode it?  Thanks for any help or information!

We "chatted" previously about the possibility of using a McIDAS ADDE
server to convert the GINI imagery in NOAAPORT to McIDAS AREA.  Upon
your recommendation, I wrote to Mark Laufersweiler about OU possibly
providing ADDE access to the NOAAPORT GINI data but learned that the
current machine at OU does not have enough resources to provide such
service (an old Sun SPARC 20).

You had indicated that you were somewhat interested in the ADDE
approach to converting GINI to AREA, but your note above seems to
indicate that this interest has waned.  If this is the case, I will not
pursue use of McIDAS for your project.

If it is more expedient to write code to do the conversion that
you need, you should get the following document:

                Interface Control Document (ICD)
                             for
        AWIPS-National Environmental Satellite, Data, and
                  Information Service (NESDIS)

AA0130008 CH-2
February 15, 2000

This can be found on the web as follows:

NOAAPORT User's Page
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/noaaport/html/noaaport.shtml

 +-> NOAAPORT Reference Documentation
     http://www.nws.noaa.gov/noaaport/html/refs.shtml

     Interface Control Documents:

- ICD for AWIPS-NESDIS - This document (dated 15 February 2000)
contains portions of AWIPS Interface Control Document(ICD) for the
National Environmental, Satellite, Data, and Information
Service(NESDIS). Relevant sections of this ICD have been included here
for the purposes of providing adequate information to ingest and decode
the NOAAPORT data stream. This document is available for downloading as
a WordPerfect (.wpd) file (approx 382 KB) or in PDF (.pdf) format.

Please let me know if you were looking for some other information.

Tom Yoksas