20010507: Water Vapor images for Research project

>From: megan ritz <address@hidden>

Megan,

>I am a physics and astronomy student at the University of Iowa and am
>working on a project that involves analyzing data taken by the IRO in
>New Mexico.  I need water vapor images for the entire day on September
>15, 2000.  I have spent many hours this semester trying to find these
>images.  It seams that if there wasn't a major event on that day, there
>isn't any web site that has what I need.   A few days ago some one
>suggested I try unidata.  I have never used unidata, and I know this is
>archived data, but I would really appreciate it if you could help me.

These images should be available in an archive of the Unidata-Wisconsin
datastream that we send to our sites through our Internet Data Distribution
(IDD) system.  I will give you the access information as soon as you provide
me with a valid University of Iowa email address (I hope you understand
that we need to verify that you are who you say you are).

Until then, you can get the process started by reviewing our web page
on access to Unidata-Wisconsin imagery:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/unirec.html

In short, the procedure will be:

o you decide what data you want loaded from the archive
o you send an email to address@hidden describing the data that
  you want (and let them know that this access is through Unidata)
o you provide us with a valid UI email address
o I send you the FTP user name and password to access the FTP site
o you FTP the data you want from unidata.ssec.wisc.edu

>If it will take longer than a week for me to get water vapor data, don't
>waste your time.

The reload of the data you want should only take a small amount of time.
The holdup will be us getting your UI email address.

>The final paper for this project is due this week, and
>the Professor will understand if I don't have the images.  He knows how
>many hours I have spent looking for them.

OK.

>I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.  If you can't
>help me, thank you for just taking the time to read this letter.

We can help, and the data should be available.

>Sincerely,
>Megan Ritz
>Senior at the University of Iowa

Tom Yoksas