20010603: UGA ADDE server adds data

>From: Thomas Mote <address@hidden>

Hi Tom,

>PlanetaryData just installed our new 3-channel NOAAport system. (We have
>been able to nicely integrate it into our existing LDM with some new
>software they have.)

I saw a previous message of yours that commented on your new 3 port PDI
system.  I am happy to hear that things are working smoothly.

>I have added the GOES West imagery to
>cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu ADDE server. I also added the NEXRAD imagery and all
>text and model products. I'm not sure everything is set up correctly, so
>you may want to see how it works. I feel pretty confident about the GOES
>West.

Wonderful!  I pointed my McIDAS session's requests for the following
ADDE datasets:

GINIEAST
GINIWEST
GINICOMP
RTNEXRAD
RTGRIDS
RTWXTEXT

I will leave these settings like this and access cacimbo as my default
to test things out.  I will let you know if I run into anything that
looks strange.  So far, displays of GINIEAST, GINIWEST, RTNEXRAD, and
RTWXTEXT (Severe Wx Watch boxes) look good.  I will make sure to test
out easy things like fronts, text listings, the GINI composites, and,
of course, the model data over the next few days.

>I noticed that some of the radar products we're getting on NOAAport are
>not available on ADDE.
>I don't know whether this is something I have
>misconfigured or the functionality just isn't available yet.

The only products that I never knowingly provided support for are:

digital precipitation array
VAD winds
site status messages
free-form test messages

Can you give me a list of the products you have found that are not supported?
This will help in expanding the support.

>Also, most of the text and GRIB decoding wasn't active until Sunday around
>2p.m. If you're looking for anything older than that, it won't appear.
>There's nothing wrong with the system.

OK.

>I got the new 7.705 McIDAS and I like the way you can easily change ADDE
>servers for products. Anyway, I thought you might want to know this is
>available.

Thanks, this will be very useful for the community.  I will add cacimbo
to the list of servers for the various datasets as check them out.

>Let me know if (when) you see things are misconfigured.

A couple of things detailed in the 7.705 addendum page:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/770/mcx/addenda_010508.html

need addressing:

1) FOUS14 TEXT accessibility (dataset RTWXTEXT)

2) XCD decoding of 6-hourly AVN grids out to +120 hour forecast.

The second item (AVN grid decoding requires several steps.  The web page
listed above is pretty exhaustive on the steps needed, but please let
me know if something doesn't make sense.

An additional thing you might want to do, is setup some cron-initiated
GRID file creations from the GRIDs decoded with XCD.  The grids to be
created are very useful for folks using the Fkey menu system.

This setup be done from the 'mcidas' account.  The recommended crontab
entries look like:

#  Create the NGM-UW and MRF-UW GRID files
30 10,22 * * * /home/mcidas/workdata/uwgrid.sh NF 1>/dev/null 2>&1
00  9,21 * * * /home/mcidas/workdata/uwgrid.sh NG 1>/dev/null 2>&1

The new GRID files will contain gridded fields that are created by
combinations of existing grids (e.g., 250 mb wind speeds; 1000-500 mb
thicknesses; etc.).

After adding a cron entry to create the new grids, one must make sure
that their creation is enabled in the McIDAS routing table:

<in a McIDAS session running as the user 'mcidas'>
ROUTE REL NF NG

I will keep an eye on data access from cacimbo and let you know if there
is anything that seems amiss.  Also, please don't hesitate to ask for
help in setting up the things above.

Thanks for giving me the heads-up!

Tom