20010611: METEOSAT-7 AREA files available by FTP at Marshall Space Flight Center (cont.)

>From: Christian Page <address@hidden>

Christian,

>So I have setup an ADDE server to serve METEOSAT-7 images at io.sca.uqam.ca
>They are updated at around :56 for 00Z, 06Z, 12Z and 18Z for ir1, ir2 and vis.
>00Z imagery is not available for ir2 and vis.

Excellent.  I just setup dataset location for the ME7 dataset and have
listed and displayed the images on my Linux machine at home.  This
demonstrates that your remote ADDE server setup is correct.
Contradulations!  What kind of machine is this running on (e.g., Sun
Ultra 60; Linux 500 Mhz PIII; etc.)?

>I have seen that WEFAX imagery is not restricted(encrypted) so it is available
>each 30 min. instead of 6-hour for METEOSAT data. Would it be possible to
>convert WEFAX output to McIDAS area format?

Yes, but it would take a little work.  Unidata McIDAS contains support
programs that allows one to turn a raster image into AREA files
(MAKEAREA) and add navigation (MAKNAV).  Unfortunately, there is no
METEOSAT navigation component in MAKNAV, so it would have to be added
in order for things to work.

What is the quality of the WEFAX products as compared to the images you
can FTP from MSFC?  Any chance I could get one and take a look (via
anonymous FTP)?

>Would it be interesting to reroute them through IDD/LDM to benefit all Unidata
>community? If so, how?

Perhaps, but they would have to be turned into navigated images before
this would be useful.  Also, Unidata has embarked initiatives that
provide access to datasets on demand.  ADDE is one part of this; DODS
is another.  This type of access can be preferable to IDD transfers
since the data is only moving to a user's site when s/he wants.

>Thanks a lot for your support,

You are welcome.

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Jun 11 09:47:38 2001
>Subject: Re: 20010611: METEOSAT-7 AREA files available by FTP at Marshall
>Space Flight Center (cont.)

re: what kind of a machine are you running your remote ADDE server on
>It is an SGI Origin-200 4CPU 180MHz IP27 R10000 1.6Gb RAM
>It is used to run climate and boundary layer models mainly. Also, it is used as
>a web server (for weather data), and it runs LDM/GEMPAK, and now McIDAS to
>generate products for research/education.

re: access to METEOSAT WEFAX products