20010730: SPAWAR data on IDD (cont.)

>From: Matthew Lazzara <address@hidden>

Matthew,

re: working with the SPAWAR folks in the October/November timeframe

>Thanks for the heads up - this is good to know.

re: would AMRC be willing to provide ADDE access to all of the Antarctic
data
>Yes, we at the AMRC are very, very interested in this.  We should talk
>about how to accomplish this, as I'm not sure if XCD can do the converting
>or if there is another way nor am I familiar with ABoM' work.

That does remain to be seen.  ABoM is working on a GRIB ADDE server.
That may be able to be pressed into service to provide access to the
MM5 output that NCAR/MMM is creating.  If it is not, and if XCD can't
handle the data, more work would need to be done.

re: nothing prevents your AWS data from being made available
>Wonderful!  Our AWS data can be made available in MD format, and ASCII text
>format - perhaps there is better way (netCDF - we have future plans to also
>have netCDF, but not right away)??

If you already have the data in MD form, we could make it available through
ADDE immediately.  The ASCII version of the data may be injected into the
IDD (with appropriate headers created/included), and netCDF (in the future)
could be made available through DODS and/or ADDE.

>How do you plan to make the AWS data available from SPAWAR?

First, we will inject the textual data into the IDD.  Next, we will
investigate putting it into some format that can be served by THREDDS
servers: ADDE and DODS.

re: the AMRC data access will be built into the GUI I will be sending out
with my McIDAS-X 7.8 releae
>This is great!  As an important note, albeit amrc.ssec.wisc.edu works for
>now, and actually has a better database, we plan to switch around IPs and
>domain names, and maintain having uwamrc.ssec.wisc.edu be the active web
>site, and ADDE server, since everyone already knows about that, and has for
>some years.  If you feel otherwise, let me know.  Thakns for including us,
>we truly appreciate it!!

So, should I change the machine access info to be uwamrc.ssec right now?
If the change is definitely going to be made, and if uwamrc is already
ready to serve data through the remote ADDE interface, then making the
switch before I announce my release would be the best time.

re: serving the AMRC data through ADDE is a THREDDS approach
>Fair enough!

We just have to get more people using it.  Making my GUI more and more
functional and friendly (easy to use) is my major goal for McIDAS this
year.

re: we need to talk
>Sounds good.  I've got a few things happening this week (outreach workshops
>and getting papers in for satellite conference).  Perhaps we can both find
>a time in August to talk about these items more.

Yes.  I will be teaching a McIDAS workshop the week of August 6-10 and
going to Miami for the AMPATH workshop (scientific outreach to Central
and South America) the 15th through the 17th.  I am also selling my
house (Victorian historic landmark) so closing is right around then
also.  Thinks have been quite hectic for me for the past month, but
they should letup right around/after the 20th of August.

>Thank Tom!!

Talk to you soon.

Tom

>From address@hidden Tue Jul 31 11:27:31 2001
>CC: address@hidden, Matthew Lazzara <address@hidden>,
>   Linda Keller <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>   address@hidden, address@hidden
>Subject: Re: 20010730: SPAWAR data on IDD (cont.)

Tom,

Unidata Support wrote:

> >Yes, we at the AMRC are very, very interested in this.  We should talk
> >about how to accomplish this, as I'm not sure if XCD can do the converting
> >or if there is another way nor am I familiar with ABoM' work.
>
> That does remain to be seen.  ABoM is working on a GRIB ADDE server.
> That may be able to be pressed into service to provide access to the
> MM5 output that NCAR/MMM is creating.  If it is not, and if XCD can't
> handle the data, more work would need to be done.

I think ABoM's work will be worth a try....shall we talk about this at the
MUG meeting in October?? I'll be around for it and the satellite
conference.  Otherwise, GRIBDEC just might need a slight modification to
know about NCAR/MM5 grib messages...and related tables, etc. I'm not an
expert at this, but hung around John Pyeatte and Chad Johnson enough to
have a clue about the workings.  I'm under the impression adding new types
to GRIBDEC isn't too bad, if we have documentation, etc.

> re: nothing prevents your AWS data from being made available
> >Wonderful!  Our AWS data can be made available in MD format, and ASCII text
> >format - perhaps there is better way (netCDF - we have future plans to also
> >have netCDF, but not right away)??
>
> If you already have the data in MD form, we could make it available through
> ADDE immediately.  The ASCII version of the data may be injected into the
> IDD (with appropriate headers created/included), and netCDF (in the future)
> could be made available through DODS and/or ADDE.

I do have our AWS already available in MD format...and is available on ADDE
(old format is at uwamrc.ssec.wisc.edu under the dataset AMRC/AWS the new
format is in three datasets on the temporary server at amrc.ssec.wisc.edu
in AMRC/MCMAWS AMRC/GILAWS AMRC/WALAWS  As a key note, we getting AWS data
via the DCS in the US (from our link to DOMSAT here at SSEC) and at
McMurdo.  I've not worked on merging the datasets...and with my "to-do"
list, I may not for awhile.  Yes, ASCII could be put on IDD, and we do have
hopes to have netCDF in the future too.

> >How do you plan to make the AWS data available from SPAWAR?
>
> First, we will inject the textual data into the IDD.  Next, we will
> investigate putting it into some format that can be served by THREDDS
> servers: ADDE and DODS.

Sounds good...I'll keep in close touch with SPAWAR regarding this.

> re: the AMRC data access will be built into the GUI I will be sending out
> with my McIDAS-X 7.8 releae
> >This is great!  As an important note, albeit amrc.ssec.wisc.edu works for
> >now, and actually has a better database, we plan to switch around IPs and
> >domain names, and maintain having uwamrc.ssec.wisc.edu be the active web
> >site, and ADDE server, since everyone already knows about that, and has for
> >some years.  If you feel otherwise, let me know.  Thakns for including us,
> >we truly appreciate it!!
>
> So, should I change the machine access info to be uwamrc.ssec right now?
> If the change is definitely going to be made, and if uwamrc is already
> ready to serve data through the remote ADDE interface, then making the
> switch before I announce my release would be the best time.

Yes, please do change it to uwamrc.ssec.wisc.edu - that is what the current
machine named amrc.ssec.wisc.edu will turn into as soon as the web server
on it is ready to go public. I hope before WINFLY (mid August)....but we'll
see how it schedules out.  I keep using uwamrc over amrc is due to history
- may folks know us by that address already.  With solaris, I know I could
pick an alias name, but uwamrc has carried one for years already
(penguin.ssec.wisc.edu), otherwise, I'd have choosen to use amrc as an
alias or vice versa.

> re: serving the AMRC data through ADDE is a THREDDS approach
> >Fair enough!
>
> We just have to get more people using it.  Making my GUI more and more
> functional and friendly (easy to use) is my major goal for McIDAS this
> year.

Great!  Sort of my goal for our web site...

> re: we need to talk
> >Sounds good.  I've got a few things happening this week (outreach workshops
> >and getting papers in for satellite conference).  Perhaps we can both find
> >a time in August to talk about these items more.
>
> Yes.  I will be teaching a McIDAS workshop the week of August 6-10 and
> going to Miami for the AMPATH workshop (scientific outreach to Central
> and South America) the 15th through the 17th.  I am also selling my
> house (Victorian historic landmark) so closing is right around then
> also.  Thinks have been quite hectic for me for the past month, but
> they should letup right around/after the 20th of August.

O.k...that may work out.  I of course will be getting busy with school by
then (first PhD committee meeting on the 28th).  Talk with you more than
Tom!!!  Thank you!!!

> >Thank Tom!!
>
> Talk to you soon.
>
> Tom
> **************************************************************************** <
> Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
> (303)497-8644                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
> address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
> Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/      <

Cheers,

Matthew

Matthew Lazzara - Meteorologist - Antarctic Meteorological Research Center
925 Atmospheric, Oceanic and Space Sciences    http://uwamrc.ssec.wisc.edu
Space Science and Engineering Center           E-mail: address@hidden
University of Wisconsin-Madison                      Phone: (608) 262-0436
1225 West Dayton Street, Madison, WI 53706             Fax: (608) 263-6738