Meteosat 5

Dear Garrett:

Thanks for your 12 July message answering my questions about the
availability of Meteosat 5 imagery through CIRA.  I was glad to read that
CIRA has some data but it would have to be converted to McIDAS AREA
files.  Consequently, I explored the Data Center at the SSEC and found
they have both real-time and archived (back to March 1999) Meteosat 5
data for distribution to .edu sites.  The data are already in AREA
format.  These data cover the period of our study of Himalayan thunderstorms.

We have downloaded sample images and the resolution both in space and
time are more than adequate for our study.  So, we will not need
Meteosat data through CIRA.

Sincerely,

Ward Hindman
CCNY