20010924: AVN model vs MRF model

>From:  Anthony James Wimmers <address@hidden>

Tony,

I did a little web surfing through NCEP sites to see if there was anything
written about the difference between the AVN and MRF models.

I found two pages that had information on NCEP models:

http://www.ncep.noaa.gov/news/models_now_online.shtml

National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP)
EMC Model Documentation

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/modelinfo/index.html

The first link has very short snippits about four models.  Here is the text
for the AVN and MRF ones:

  2.The Aviation [AVN]

  The AVN model is a global spectral model used primarily for aviation
  weather forecasts. The AVN provides guidance out to 126 hours at 00 and
  12Z and out to 84 hours at 0 and 18Z.

  3.The Medium Range Forecast [MRF]

  The MRF is a medium range global forecast model. The MRF generates
  forecast the same as the AVN, but it produces forecasts out to 16 days
  (384 hours), once per day at 00Z.

The second site has more detailed information on various models including
the history of the changes to the models; the physics used in the models;
etc., but it doesn't really go into details about the difference between
the AVN and MRF.

I think that the two short descriptions from the first site may be
what you need.

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Sep 24 18:50:00 2001
>From: Anthony James Wimmers <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20010924: AVN model vs MRF model

Thanks!

Tony Wimmers                           address@hidden
Department of Environmental Science, University of Virginia